• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front sheet metal swap

gator_grabber

NAXJA Forum User
Any suggestions on swapping late model front sheet metal to an earlier model XJ/MJ? I'd like to install a new nose on a 90 MJ. I've seached around the forums, but not found what I'm looking for. Thanks for the time!

The new stuff is much more expensive, because the "offshore" aftermarket suppliers aren't servicing the new design. I hope that's a temporary situation, but with the XJ out of production ... it may be permanent.

The profile of the top outer corner of the fenders is different, but the new style flares will attach to the old style fenders so there is a work-around. Bob Salemi did this with his older model XJ. He took a new-style header panel, and filled in the void at the top outer corners. Then he mounted the new header panel to the old fenders, and ground down the outer corners until they mated up with the fender profile.

He said there was one place where a very long bolt was needed, and he had to do some wirning to adapt the side lights, but the result is quite workable. Only someone who really knows XJs would pick up in the fact that it's not a complete new-style nose.

Oh, yeah -- he's running the new style flares on all four corners, with new style bumpers.

What I'm considering is replacing everything in front of the firewall (excluding the inner fenders) with late model parts. The bumper will be ARB, the flares will be the new Bushwacker units. All of the stickers and emblems are also coming off for that "clean" look. I'm trying to create the impression that the factory built a "modern" Jeep Comanche. Well, perhaps I can do a bit better than that...

Do you know if the hoods are the same?

Yes, the hoods are the same. If you can afford to buy the parts, it's a bolt-on conversion. Post pics when done -- I'd like to create a '97 Comanche someday myself.

I'll be glad to. The vehicle will not be too far over the top, but a modern day version of what should have been. Thanks for the help; this site is a real asset to anyone seeking it out!

why are you replacing the inner finder they are the same. just bolt up the new fender may need the front brackets

You wrote:

MDXJ said:
why are you replacing the inner finder they are the same. just bolt up the new fender may need the front brackets

He wrote:

Originally posted by gator_grabber
What I'm considering is replacing everything in front of the firewall (excluding the inner fenders) with late model parts. [/b]

Is there some part of the definition of "excluding" on which we don't have consensus? :D

gator_grabber said:
What I'm considering is replacing everything in front of the firewall (excluding the inner fenders) with late model parts. The bumper will be ARB, the flares will be the new Bushwacker units. All of the stickers and emblems are also coming off for that "clean" look. I'm trying to create the impression that the factory built a "modern" Jeep Comanche. Well, perhaps I can do a bit better than that...

Do you know if the hoods are the same?

;) ;) ;)

|
V

Stryker,
Did you convert the entire front end, or just the grill? How did it turn out? Is that a 8.8 in the rear? BTW, I'm going to be a bit more conservative with the lift and tires! ;) 31" with 3" lift...

gator_grabber said:
Stryker,
Did you convert the entire front end, or just the grill? How did it turn out? Is that a 8.8 in the rear? BTW, I'm going to be a bit more conservative with the lift and tires! ;) 31" with 3" lift...

I've done it both ways...
I've retained the pre- 97 fenders in two conversions and I've used new 97+ fenders on one.
I prefer the new fender bolt up, cause they're made for it.

All told, the doors are the only thing that gives it away as a non-2000 unit. (due to the fold out wings)

My Comanche, and the Cherokee before it utilize Ford full-sizes....(9" out back) from a 1979 Ford F-150. I first did this conversion on my 1982 Scrambler back in 1995.

I'm looking for a free hosting service to put up new pics with the new front end as well as the new rollbar......
This one's going down by the end of the month...

http://www.picturetrail.com/honcho

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=3578972

Last edited:
Back