• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Parking lamp issue

lucky14

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ

Parking and lighting worked normally over the last year.

No aftermarket stereo, or recent work in the hatch area, lost parking lamps front and rear, and instrumetn panel lights but retained brake and headlamps.

No fuses in underhood box or right hand side fuse box bad. If I power the tail lamps circuit through the fuse with a tester the lamps will come on. If I fiddle with the switch occasionally for a second the parkign lamps will come on. No fuse issues or opens I figured it was a switch.

Threw a new switch in- same thing. Haynes manual sucks for 97 and later.

Looks like fuse #7 (10A) and fuse 23 (10A) plus Fog relay #1 in PDC supply power to parking lamps? after switch?

Are there any hidden fuse boxes on links on the left side of the dash? Going out there with the DVOM and the powerprobe to fix it before I rip the rest of the dash out to do the evaporator. I want to make sure I fix one problem before I go balls deep into another.

Ok there is power on the red 10 ga lead into the head lamp switch.

Per my wiring diag. Parking lamps go out on term. #9 on the Black and yellow lead.

With the switch in Plamps or Hlamps there is no power on BK/YL.

Measuring continuity from Term 9 (BK/YL) to fuse # 7 (10A in the passenger box) there is continunity on both sides of the fuse from Term 9 of the swtich.

Fuse #23 is good as well and likewise if I supply power through the fuse lamps come on.

Does anyone know where Connector C201 is?

Aside from the headlamp switch, both fuses its the commonality between front and rear lighting circuits.

Ok C201 is the large gang plug for the dash harness... took that off no corrosion or terminal tightness issues.

I am wondering if it could be the headlamp delay module.

Looking at the FSM for my 99 looks like the Parking lamp and the dash lights circuits are fed from fuse #17 in the PDC Should be a 20A fuse. Also the circuits don't get their power on the red wire, but a tan with black stripe 18AWG wire. It runs through connector 100. Which is located behind the dash on the drivers side Natural in color. Also you mentioning if you fiddle with the switch they will come on intermittently leads me to believe the issue is probably in the connector for the headlamp switch on the supply side.

Headlamp delay module shouldn't have any thing to do with the parking lamps.

Last edited:
I wish I had my hands on a FSM;

Haynes is specific enough to tease you.. vauge enough to seriously frustrate you. Correct me if your FSM differs

Looking at a "typical 97 and later" front lighting diagram, and following PDC is fed via fuseable link BAT A0> which is good.

PDC Fuses 17 (20A) and Fuse 7 (30A) feed both the DRL module, DLC, and Headlamp Delay and the Headlamp Switch. which are all good

Headlamp Delay module shares/controls a ground on C2 of the headlamp switch violet wire

C1 of switch goes to the high beam/flash to pass which runs through the delay module too. on a light green wire.

There is a seperate diagram for front lighting that shows C1 is gets its ground via the headlamp delay module.

The issue I have is there no output on the blk/yl wire that is the output on C1, but from C1 to the lamps is intact grounds fuses and all. The issue is at the switch or upstream of the switch or at the switch.

The switch and parking lamp diagrams contradict each other. The larger diagram for the headlamp switch makes more sense as it shows that C1 runs through the delay module. I know the delay module kills the parking, dash, and tail lamps when you leave the lamps on when everything was working right.

The pigtail looks great for the headlamp switch. I have the dash out of the XJ now.. pulled it to do an evaportator was going to fix the lights first but this way I can faul trace the dash harness and pigtails closer too

Ok so has anyone else run into this;

All fuses good
Pigtails and grounds good
new switch
circuit from switch to lamps ok will work if powered.
Not the large gang plug C201

Im stumped.... time to punt.

I ran into the same issue in my 01 which ended up being a blown "bus" fuse in the main PDC (in the engine bay). Can't remember which number, but someone here might know off hand.

Thanks I had read post early along with about another 3,000 cherokee, jeep, pirate, forums all reagarding XJ dash lamps.

I will go double check the PDC fuses in the underhood compartment before I have to bath the crumbsnatcher.

Well hopefully its just something I overlooked- but I did check them 3 times all with a powerprobe or a DVOM. I will let you know.

I had read

Nah.. all the PDC fuses are ok qudrauple checked them and the JB fuses in the R.f. foot well.

I have the dash out on a fender stand in the garage was looking at the back of the pig tail. the terminals are all ok but the ground lug was chaffed where the harness runs down to the delay module. I will fix it later and finish the evap tonight or tomorrow and go from there.

Chaffed wire repair fixed the issue.. chaffed where the swithc harness enters the loom just above the lower steel support of the dash- just as it enters the Delay module.

Dash and HVAC box look like they have been in and out of the rig a few times buy some hacks. Might have been casue by some miss routings in the past.

Back