• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No-slip installation - D30 HP Carrier issues

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
Just passing on some experience, so people know what they may be getting into.

1996 Cherokee - October 1996 build date.
HP Dana 30 - 3.55 gears, open carrier, 100% stock.

I have installed a no-slip in a Dana 44, and a lock right in an HP D30 before. Quick with no problems. This one took a large portion of my day today.

1) Had to remove ring gear for cross shaft...expected that though.
2) Cross shaft was very tight and hard to remove. Took quite a bit of punch and hammer work.
3) Carrier did not have the proper clearance for the no-slip. I had to grind out some internal material from where the non-splined spiders sit on their thrust washers to allow for the assembly to spin freely. I only found one mention of this issue with my searching this evening (in an early bronco D30 no less).
4) The new pin was even harder to get in than the old one was to get out. Expected that, but it wasn't the springs causing the issue...it was the carrier shaft hole.

In short...the carrier casting and machining was something special on this one. Has anyone else come across anything like this before?

Back