NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 4th, 2006, 15:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 0630 vs 0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
Don't see why people would advise against it - I tend to advise people to do that, for the same reason you noted! It's a lot easier to service the manifold gasket on the bench than on the engine - by a couple orders of magnitude...

Granted, I'm a fairly large individual, and waving around a two-foot long iron casting isn't that big a deal for me, but if you're going to do the job and you don't have the power to do it yourself, get someone who can help you who can follow instructions immediately and accurately. Two extra hands helps - but they've got to be hooked to a single brain order to work...

5-90
I believe the concern was in making sure the head got placed properly w/o messing up the head gasket. Once you add the intake/exhaust manifold, you add about another 30 lbs to an already 80+ lbs and that 30 lbs is off center. It makes handling very nasty even with a lift.

Most professional mechs think the average do-it-yourselfer is brain dead and will just muscle the thing in figuring they'll be the one to correct the idots mistake, and understandably. But I'm one of the old farts that's been doing this stuff for years. Yogi put it best; "I'm smarter than the average bear". That includes knowing when I've reached my limit of ability. Anyway, I took maybe 20 minutes to drop that head down. I constantly adjusted the angle on the lift with my helper adjusting the load. We dropped it perfectly flat. That was one sweet swap over.
Old October 4th, 2006, 15:19
NAXJA Forum User

Yup - I do much the same thing, but I use alignment pins and muscle power (I don't have a cherry-picker.)

Some 1/2" allthread rod comes in quite handy here - screw it in (leaving about 6" or so sticking up over the deck,) line the head up on the rods, and slowly lower. Put most of the screws in finger tight, remove the rods, and replace with screws. Torque to spec.

I haven't gotten around to taking measurements for head studs yet...

5-90
Old October 4th, 2006, 16:05
NAXJA Forum User

The pics would be greatly appreciated, I probably won't get to it untill the weekend so no rush on the pics. I have a plenty of space and all the tools nessicary for fixing a tractor so it should not be a problem. I have rebuilt engines by myself so I know a little bit about what I am doing. Don't get me wrong I am not an expert by any means and probably take twice or three times as longs as good mechanic. They ran like tops when I was done.
Old October 4th, 2006, 17:41
NAXJA Forum User

Two brackets seem to work well. The only thing I haven't done is to cut the extensions going down to the block. At the time it appeared they had metal inserts in the plastic and I didn't want to fool with them. So I used the origional bolts, tack welded a nut to a piece of 1/2x1 flat stock so I could get the nut on the end of the bolt. It's tight down there. Next time I have to pull the rail off, I'm plan on cutting them down and using shorter bolts.

I used some scrap flat aluminum stock I had as it was easy to form for the fit I wanted.
Old October 4th, 2006, 19:05
NAXJA Forum User

beautiful! looks stock
Old October 4th, 2006, 19:48
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

[QUOTE=rstarch345Two brackets seem to work well. The only thing I haven't done is to cut the extensions going down to the block. At the time it appeared they had metal inserts in the plastic and I didn't want to fool with them. So I used the origional bolts, tack welded a nut to a piece of 1/2x1 flat stock so I could get the nut on the end of the bolt. It's tight down there. Next time I have to pull the rail off, I'm plan on cutting them down and using shorter bolts.

I used some scrap flat aluminum stock I had as it was easy to form for the fit I wanted.[/QUOTE]

Please don't think I don't appreciate the effort you put in this mod,
my question is, what happens when you go 4X4 and you bounce all over, will it hold?
The suport from the brackets is not symmetrical, looks like it could use some support coming from somewhere lower and outboard.
Old October 4th, 2006, 20:36
NAXJA Forum User

Here's an earlier thread on this. That mod was shown on I think jeepsunlimited.com. The guy on there used some pretty sturdy stainless straps, and it looked like it would hold up off-road.
Old October 4th, 2006, 22:05
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks, that is what I had pictured in my head from you description. If that is all it takes I guess I need to pull an engine. I don't want to leave the driveline in the wreck. The block is still good, so I might do something with it later down the line, say stroke. And anything esle salvagable I might sell and the rest is going over the scales.
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon556
Please don't think I don't appreciate the effort you put in this mod,
my question is, what happens when you go 4X4 and you bounce all over, will it hold?
The suport from the brackets is not symmetrical, looks like it could use some support coming from somewhere lower and outboard.
That aluminun is 3/16" thick. I can stand on the rail. Remember, that rail only weighs about 3 lbs. Most of the weight is supported by the plugs themselves. The straps really only need to support the "flop" weight. In reality, plumbers tape at all 4 bolts could do the job. I'm just a supporter of overkill.

And yes, it is more than sufficient on the trail. I just came back from 5 days doing Moab. http://www.soxja.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391
Old October 5th, 2006, 19:25
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarch345
That aluminun is 3/16" thick. I can stand on the rail. Remember, that rail only weighs about 3 lbs. Most of the weight is supported by the plugs themselves. The straps really only need to support the "flop" weight. In reality, plumbers tape at all 4 bolts could do the job. I'm just a supporter of overkill.

And yes, it is more than sufficient on the trail. I just came back from 5 days doing Moab. http://www.soxja.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391
Sounds like a winner.
If my 01 Grand 0331 head cracks, I'll replace it with an 0630 and strap it down.
Old October 5th, 2006, 20:45
NAXJA Forum User

Do all "newer" XJ's have the 0331 casting? I thought I read somewere there are some that didn't
Old October 5th, 2006, 20:56
NAXJA Forum User

It is my understanding that any 4.0 with distributorless ignition has the 0331 head. The 0331 head is the only casting that has the mounting boses for the coil rail. So, that would mean the first 0331's were produced sometime in late '98 for the first WJ Grand Cherokees and by late '99 all 4.0's were getting the 0331 casting because all 2000 models were distributorless. Very little, if anything, changed until the very last 4.0's were built earlier this year for the last run of TJ's...the end of an era has passed.

I know a lot of people hate the 0331 head because of the cracking issues. But there are literally millions of that head casting on the road and on a % basis, the problems are pretty small considering how many are still running fine every day.

Knock on wood, hope mine doesn't crack tomorrow,,,but if it does, I'm going aluminum!