NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 19th, 2009, 15:35
NAXJA Forum User

Sagging leaf springs

I have a 97 XJ with 250,000 miles on it. The leaf springs are sagging in the back a bit. I'd like to be able to go up a couple of tire sizes to 30's but don't want to deal with the problems (or $$) that come with a suspension lift. Would replace the leaf springs with OEM equipment work or should I just put on a shackle lift? Any other ideas?
Old February 19th, 2009, 15:41
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Sagging leaf springs

OE springs are pretty cheap at Quadratec. For the price, though, you can get the HD leaves that net you about 2". Add some 2" coils, new shocks, and a new brake line, and boom, you've got a cheap lift. Adding a shackle would be a fine temporary measure, but often times the longer shackle changes the leverage on the springs, causing them to sag even further.

That said, I ran 30s on my Cherokee with no lift and sagging springs for years with no trouble at all.
Old February 19th, 2009, 15:49
NAXJA Member #760

Another possibility if you just want to restore original OE height would be to add a leaf. A search here should come up with some good info on this, and maybe even some pictures (the stuff is there, but I don't know how well the search will find it). I've done this twice using a leaf from an old OEM spring pack cut down, and it makes for a nice cheap height restoration if you have, or can get, a set of old springs to carve up. If you have any friends in the area who have built up trail rigs, there might be some OEM springs to be found.

Edited to add: I would heed Sam's caution about shackle lifts on old saggy springs. I noticed when I recently added a leaf to my 99 (with 220+K miles), that there was a good bit of actual wear on the leaves, and that makes them saggier and a little softer even if they haven't deformed.

Last edited by Matthew Currie; February 19th, 2009 at 15:52.
Old February 19th, 2009, 16:00
NAXJA Forum User

I just put in a second set on main leafs to my stock spring packs, and added in some home made 3/4" zero rate aal's and got a full 2" over stock height. I was sagged 1" below stock height so I actually got 3" of lift.

The 2nd main leaf firmed up the rear springs nicely, but still rides great.
Old February 19th, 2009, 16:08
NAXJA Forum User

If your trying to save $$, tear your leafs down, inspect for damage, and add a few leaves from the junkyard. Just bring a tape measure to the JY.