NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 19th, 2009, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Round 2

ok well if any one remembers about a month ago i posted a thread, about my truck just dying and not restarting, blah blah blah, replaced hte CPS ran fine, now on the road to replacing the cps, i replaced:
cap+rotor
ICM
Coil(bought in april,MSD)
Fuel Pump
none of this had any effect, replaced cps, ran fine until yesterday.
i was driving it out of the jiffy lube bay(oilchange,air filter), and it sputtered like it was out of fuel(1/4 of a tank in the truck)then died, i took my old co workers car to the gas station thinking i havent let it get that low on fuel since i replaced the FP, so put in a gallon, runs fine for about half a mile.
push it into chevron fill it up, no start wtf. it sits for about an hour or so, sometimes more,so i replaced the fuel filter in the parking lot to no effect, tried a different coil, same effect, excpt for it started and died right away then no start for 2+ hours after that, and i even put in a new cps again just to make sure. so any idea.
Old February 19th, 2009, 15:55
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Round 2

well as of 2pm. its "The Kar Shop"'s problem. literally no time to fumble need it done. who wants to play a game? through up your best answer's or questions, il answer anyhting you have to ask, and il post what the shop finds.
Old February 19th, 2009, 15:55
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know, this CPS thing is weird. Are your's all from the same place? Have you tried cooling it? http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ight=CPS+water
Old February 19th, 2009, 16:06
NAXJA Forum User

wow, no i actually didnt, i called my buddies shop where its at, and let him know, the old cps i replaced last night is in the truck so hes taking it next door to the ceramics shop, and gonna get it up to 200 F and test it
then cool it and test it
Old February 19th, 2009, 16:25
NAXJA Forum User

I'd spend some time checking out the crank sensor wiring (for damage) and the crank sensor connector very closely. The crank signal has to make it all the way to the computer to be useful. Clean connector on the sensor with electrical cleaner. If you just put ANOTHER crank sensor in, it's certainly possible but unlikely that it's the sensor itself that is causing the problem.

Another area where the signal can become intermittent is the crank sensor connector inside the engine bay near the firewall, drivers side. Should be inspected and cleaned.

Testing for both spark and fuel when it's in a no-start condition may also reveal a clue and narrow it down.

Let us know what you find!

Last edited by birchlakeXJ; February 19th, 2009 at 16:29.
Old February 19th, 2009, 16:57
NAXJA Forum User

shop called, they said fuel pump based on theres power at the plug, and it wasnt turning on, i asked them to test the sending unit, because i just replaced the pump, they threw a hissy fit, and are going to call me back soon.
Old February 19th, 2009, 18:28
NAXJA Forum User

sending unit