NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2020, 06:34
Three-De Off-Road

Re: Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I didn't know they were still having it this year. I don't know why they schedule it on a Thursday - Saturday AFTER school has already started in Tennessee. Makes it kinda hard for parents to attend all 3 days.
Old September 6th, 2020, 23:33
Three-De Off-Road

Going on furlough on Sept 14 for the rest of the year. Hoping the additional $300 a week US help lasts more than a few weeks. Compared to most of the rest of the country the Tennessee unemployment sucks ass - $275 a week max.

First order of business after going on furlough - helping out Kittrell in the Colorado Chapter. Going to fly to Seattle and drive his "new" ZJ back to Colorado for him.
Old September 7th, 2020, 01:29
NAXJA Forum User

I have finally cleaned up the upholstery in my car. Now it's looking like a new one.
Old September 7th, 2020, 13:03
NAXJA Forum User

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Cleaning the 1st gen dodge.... Gets it every 4 years weather it needs it or not!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old September 9th, 2020, 18:50
Three-De Off-Road

Well, this happened tonight...

Old September 11th, 2020, 10:56
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Well, this happened tonight...

Door removal? Or are you converting to half doors?
Old September 12th, 2020, 17:11
Three-De Off-Road

Just doing removable doors.
Old September 27th, 2020, 19:39
Three-De Off-Road

Just bought a 1998 ZJ. Has the 5.2 and a 249. Rust free with only 98,000 original miles on it.

I'll go get it either tomorrow or Tuesday - whenever I can snag a trailer. I was going to use it for parts for my 1996. I may just fix a few things and then flip it, or I may retire the XJ and make it my new trail rig, or I may just hang onto it for when my daughter starts to drive.

No hurry to make any decisions. I'll get it home and clean it up and decide eventually. For the price it was to good to pass up.
Old September 28th, 2020, 08:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Just bought a 1998 ZJ. Has the 5.2 and a 249. Rust free with only 98,000 original miles on it.

I'll go get it either tomorrow or Tuesday - whenever I can snag a trailer. I was going to use it for parts for my 1996. I may just fix a few things and then flip it, or I may retire the XJ and make it my new trail rig, or I may just hang onto it for when my daughter starts to drive.

No hurry to make any decisions. I'll get it home and clean it up and decide eventually. For the price it was to good to pass up.
Everyone says the V8's are the bomb. I think about making our 1998 a mild trailrunner after we can get my wife something better to drive.
Old September 29th, 2020, 07:09
Three-De Off-Road

As soon as I get the brakes fixed I can take her for a spin. I think it needs an alternator also. Headed to the junkyard today to search out some random parts for both ZJs
Old September 29th, 2020, 11:10
NAXJA Forum User

Well this weekend I didn't do much.... grabbed both my ceramic coated exhaust and intake manifold. bought way to many parts 1000 dollars worth (new upgraded motor brackets, triple fan with shroud, clutch, and yoke for the front dana 30). I still haven't even bought tires so really my rig is going to be real interesting looking when I get it up and running XD. brand new motor with an awesome exhaust and tiny little tires is going to be a good laugh for my uncle.
Old September 29th, 2020, 11:12
Member Number 257

Went to URE to meet some guys I have never meet. Had a great time. Made new friends and even got kcox out on the trail. We literally did every trail out there in one day.
Old October 6th, 2020, 10:12
Three-De Off-Road

Picked up this little gem for next to nothing last week. 1998 ZJ Laredo. Almost everything works. Not a bulb burnt out anywhere, and even the factory fog lights work. For a Laredo it's well optioned - CD player radio, power seats, radio controls on the steering wheel. It's a 5.2 L with the 249 transfer case. Only things that still need attention:
  • Headliner needs new fabric
    Only the driver's side power door lock works
    Radio doesn't pull in a lot of stations. Could just be the antenna is unplugged. I haven't pulled the radio yet.
    The tailgate won't open up. It did before I put a trim panel on it though...

I've had to replace a leaking hard brake line, both CV axles that were broken open, new hubs/bearings, and I fixed the drivers side rear door that wouldn't open from the inside and had the window off the track.

Paint is adequate for 22 years old. Surprisingly NO rust anywhere on the body of the truck and only some surface rust underneath. Floors are solid as can be. I haven't even snapped any bolts yet. I say surprisingly because until earlier this summer it spent its entire 22 years in the Bronx and Yonkers in New York. Here's the kicker - 95,500 ORIGINAL miles on it.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I hardly need 4 running Jeeps. I may flip it, or I may keep it and sell the Commander. Only issue with selling the XK is I'll not have anything capable of pulling the XJ on a trailer.

Old October 6th, 2020, 13:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Picked up this little gem for next to nothing last week. 1998 ZJ Laredo. Almost everything works. Not a bulb burnt out anywhere, and even the factory fog lights work. For a Laredo it's well optioned - CD player radio, power seats, radio controls on the steering wheel. It's a 5.2 L with the 249 transfer case. Only things that still need attention:

• Headliner needs new fabric

Only the driver's side power door lock works

Radio doesn't pull in a lot of stations. Could just be the antenna is unplugged. I haven't pulled the radio yet.

The tailgate won't open up. It did before I put a trim panel on it though...

I've had to replace a leaking hard brake line, both CV axles that were broken open, new hubs/bearings, and I fixed the drivers side rear door that wouldn't open from the inside and had the window off the track.

Paint is adequate for 22 years old. Surprisingly NO rust anywhere on the body of the truck and only some surface rust underneath. Floors are solid as can be. I haven't even snapped any bolts yet. I say surprisingly because until earlier this summer it spent its entire 22 years in the Bronx and Yonkers in New York. Here's the kicker - 95,500 ORIGINAL miles on it.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I hardly need 4 running Jeeps. I may flip it, or I may keep it and sell the Commander. Only issue with selling the XK is I'll not have anything capable of pulling the XJ on a trailer.

I've never driven a 5.2 xj, so don't laugh too hard... Do they not tow quite well?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old October 7th, 2020, 07:00
Three-De Off-Road

Nope. It tows 5000 - same as the 4.0. The XK tows 7500 with the Hemi.