• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting occasional "popping" noise in XJ

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I first test drove this 1998XJ this has happened. My first impulse was that a cross member or something was loose and shifting (unloading) occasionally, but all is tight. Not really too concerned, but curious.

The popping noise is similar to a sub-pea sized rock striking the windshield. Happens occasionally, kinda like a torque or bump unload maybe. It seemingly comes from around the windshield-dash-firewall area. The more I hear it, the more I think it sounds "plastic-y". With all the plastic used in the interior that would not surprise me.

The real annoyance is that it makes you think you just took a rock in the windshield form traffic and reflectively scares the crap out of you!

I have looked high and low for a "working" joint, but all appears well. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

thanks

ancient post but bumping for an answer since I have the same question. Loud pop/crack noise sounds just like a rock hitting the winshield. Comes from lower drivers side winshield/dash area. random times normally once or twice a trip. Doesn't seem to be connected with any particular driving habits or locations.

Check the upper shock mounts on the front, they may be shifting causing the "pop".

Well I feel like a jackass now. That was it :worship:. I even kept telling myself that it sounded like my old chevette when the strut mount rusted out and the shock bounced up and down freely. Its just been to damn cold outside for me to motivate myself to go check it out
thanks

Well I feel like a jackass now. That was it :worship:. I even kept telling myself that it sounded like my old chevette when the strut mount rusted out and the shock bounced up and down freely. Its just been to damn cold outside for me to motivate myself to go check it out
thanks

Exactly what was the upper mounts doing?... and what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks.

Exactly what was the upper mounts doing?... and what did you do to resolve it?

Thanks.

On the one XJ I had this issue with the bushings were not centered and seated into the hole and they were not tight enough. You need to really get those bushing tight so the shocks will not shift around at the top.

I have this problem also and although it is way too cold out for me to get away from my warm computer room and check things out right now, I have a hard time believing this noise to be coming from outside the Jeep. It sounds like it is coming from right behind the headlight swtich and as described, has a "plasticky" sound. Its pretty damn loud too, just like a rock hitting the windshield. I will have to check the shock mounts when it warms up but it just sounds too 'inside' to be that...

On my XJ the whole washer is shifting around. I guess I should say washers as it seems to be happening on both sides but I can only hear it on the passenger side.

On the one XJ I had this issue with the bushings were not centered and seated into the hole and they were not tight enough. You need to really get those bushing tight so the shocks will not shift around at the top.

i have heard this noise in my jeep only about 3 times since i've owned it (2.5 years) i think its the trim or something popping from expansion/contraction. Def not anything under the hood/suspension ect IMO.

I've also noticed the windshield "popping" really loudly on my 1998, I've only had it for around 8 months and I get the noise occasionally but never consistently, it just pops whenever it fees like it. If anyone comes up with an explanation that would be great...it's not loose shocks or anything like that under the hood. As long as the windshield doesn't blow out on the highway, I think I can live with it...it's sure better than the random ticking I used to get out of my old 1990's engine anyways.

Got the same thing on my 2000. Seems pretty random, so haven't been able to locate where it is or what causes it. Feel a little better knowing it's not uncommon.

Steve in Colorado Springs

Is it coming from the windshield? Does it move when you push on it? I just had the windshield on my kid's XJ replace last week and it was barely holding on. The replacement dude said he was lucky the windshield did not blow out while driving.

If not that, have you checked your LCAs?

Back