NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:55
NAXJA Member

Re: XJ to WJ Disc Brake Conversion Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
1000-1400 is realistic
Ball joints, hubs, rotor, calipers, 1/4" spacers, knuckles, reamer, steering, track bar, track bar bracket, brackets, time, misc grinding wheels had, welder, someone elses time.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I looked at Ruff Stuff's site: https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/XOGMSTE.html
$280 for the 1-ton GM cross over.
I remember $80 for the reamer or so.
Ball Joints: I went with XFRs last time : $200-250 (??)
Hubs: Timken first time $80 each. I think SKF $100 each when I did it as a WJ 5 on 5.
Rotors: I remember $90 this last time each. I used 07-08 Libbys.
1/4 spacers: $30, welded on $60
Knuckles: PnP ?? say $50 to 60 a pair.
Brake pads: $30 to $100
Calipers: I bough some from the PnP say $30 each, then used them for cores $60 each.
Also, bought the brackets: $30 each
The first time, I had some other work being done. So, $$$ got wrapped into it.
This last time, I did the work. Still, I had some other work, such as frame stiffener, Ford 8.8, ZJ axles for 3.73 gears, and others. I think I had a $3K tab or more in labor. My welding needs to improve. I think most of the $$$ was for welding the frame stiffeners. Some of that was to take out or fold over the interior and carpeting.
Next build with have the interior taken out.
Old October 14th, 2021, 12:04
NAXJA Forum User

XJ to WJ Disc Brake Conversion Advice Needed

1000-1400 is if your doing work yourself.

I adapted my over the knuckle steering to the wj knuckles.

I quit putting a price list together. I have lots of time plus investment in welding stuff that i aquired over the years. And 1/4" plate by the 20' stick and other misc 20ft sticks of tube and bungs and stuff.

The cost to run cool wj brakes is very high for little gain.
You gota run the steering to make it worth or at very least over the knuckle steering

Under the knuckle wj steering would also work but then your pinching pennies to save a dime.

Old October 14th, 2021, 13:15
NAXJA Member

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collection...g-brake-kit-xj
Just for a reference. I remember Ironman 4X4 having a kit. I do have the Stinky Fab OTK brackets and the Trackbar brace on my 2nd build. I used a Rusty's OTK on the first. I do have Ironman's OTK, and will use it on my next build. I'll probably try the Cav Fab axle bracket. Looks similar to the Stinky's.
My next plan is to go to a 13 inch diameter rotor. I think doable with the WJ/JK 17 inch rims I have. I think 5 on 5 rotors from a 2014+ Cherokee might work.
Not sure why I went under. I think at the time, it looked tight with the 15 inch rims.
Old October 14th, 2021, 17:43
NAXJA Member

When I do it, I'll use the StinkyFab kit. Takes a lot of the guesswork out.
Old October 15th, 2021, 05:41
NAXJA Member

https://offroadonly.com/product-category/u-turn/

Here's a kit, that was brought up a few month back.

Also, when I did my first one, the guy who did the fab work etc. really liked it. He wanted to do it in his Wrangle. Somehow he found a knuckle for the D30 that has the extra TRE attachment. I'm blanking on the maker. Its a $300 part. He bought his for $40.
Also, I wonder how much an OTK trackbar helps. I did run across a thread where that is what one guy did. OTK trackbar and stock steering. Said the OTK helped.
Old October 15th, 2021, 08:59
NAXJA Forum User

I think he welded a arm on thd knuckle.

When i did my track bar i raised it over the axle high as possible bracket had about 1/2" clearance at full stuff
I then set angle findet on barvand matched drag link angle then fabbed frame side.

Where the track bar is located is kinda errelevant as long as its parallel to drag link and close to the same length

The path they travel in would be best to not have one staggerd off the other. Someone good at math could figure length of bar to arc to tune difference with length adjustment.

I think this steering makes the jeep go from hohumm to no were something, real live crossover steering thats badass.

To me it wad rewarding to adjust my drumb brakes and immediately stop much better. Wj parts didn't give the same warm and fuzzy

Old October 15th, 2021, 09:32
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
https://offroadonly.com/product-category/u-turn/

Here's a kit, that was brought up a few month back.

Also, when I did my first one, the guy who did the fab work etc. really liked it. He wanted to do it in his Wrangle. Somehow he found a knuckle for the D30 that has the extra TRE attachment. I'm blanking on the maker. Its a $300 part. He bought his for $40.
Also, I wonder how much an OTK trackbar helps. I did run across a thread where that is what one guy did. OTK trackbar and stock steering. Said the OTK helped.
Teraflex makes the passenger side knuckle that you are referencing.

Not sure what an "OTK" trackbar is, as Over the Knuckle is a description for the orientation of the steering linkage. Trackbars don't mount to the knuckle, so "raised trackbar" or Over the Axle (OTA) would make more sense.

This setup definitely offers improved steering geometry, but the WJ swap nets better braking and improved steering.

My WJ swap setup, which I've run since 2010. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...=913774&page=9

I also run Teraflex HD JK Ball Joints, which fit the XJ D30 inner C and the WJ knuckle taper.

Last edited by XJEEPER; October 16th, 2021 at 07:24.
Old October 15th, 2021, 10:14
NAXJA Forum User

Recycled 1ton steering

Im often amazed at the times i can still steer and get very little steer from suspension cycling.

I guess if having better brakes to tpw gets a guy headed towards a good steering for it im all for.

Old October 15th, 2021, 10:57
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post
Teraflex makes the passenger side knuckle that you are referencing.

Not sure what an "OTK" trackbar is, as Over the Knuckle is a description for the orientation of the steering linkage. Trackbars don't mount to the knuckle, so "raised trackbar" would make more sense.

This setup definitely offers improved steering geometry, but the WJ swap nets better braking and improved steering.

My WJ swap setup, which I've run since 2010. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...=913774&page=9

I also run Teraflex HD JK Ball Joints, which fit the XJ D30 inner C and the WJ knuckle taper.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16990_00_07.htm
Yes, Tera Flex.
OTK is Over the Knuckle. I do see that in the advertisement for those types of setups. I didn't name it. I think I've been running mine sine 2015.
My first one I used the Rusty's OTK as it had rubber bushings. I don't know why I don't like hiems for road use. I think there were 3-4 offerings back then. My present one is mainly Stinky Fab. The actual track bar is a fabbed piece. I started with an RE bracket, to use with their Track Bar brace. The Ironman axle bracket didn't work out. I think the WJ's arms would contact them. He referenced the Rusty's. His eyes popped out with the Stinky's. They are beefy.
On the first one, I didn't have a steering stabilizer on it at first. It drove great. I added one latter, as for DW. Yeah, doesn't help. I 'upgraded' it to Ruffstuff D30 cover and an OME WJ stabilizer shock, from a Tenneco. Really, little help. On my 2nd one, I do not have a steering stabilizer as of yet. Really, no need.

Last edited by 75SV1; October 15th, 2021 at 11:05.
Old October 15th, 2021, 14:55
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you for all the replies. I guess the answer to my question is that the WJ brakes/knuckles swap will most likely work with my stock steering, however, the angles will not be optimal and I will not get the benefit of a steering upgrade. In addition, I will only see a marginal improvement in braking. Is that right?

I couldn't pass on the P&P brake/rotor sale so I did end up getting the rotors and calipers. One thing I was confused about was that some of the calipers said "akebono" on them and some didn't, although they looked very much like akebonos. Are the non-branded ones just as good?

Rotors/calipers/pads 50$ out the door. I don't plan on reconditioning any of these parts until I can be sure they will workout. I plan on getting the knuckles and ball joints next week when P&P has their 25% all parts sale. Trying to keep things cheap. I think I will start with welding and drilling the aforementioned parts and then think about which kit works best for the steering part of things ........sounds like Currie Currect-Lync is probably the simplest way to go?? I am not very mechanically inclined, and would hate to run into trouble that requires anything beyond step by step bolt on instructions. I saw some YouTube videos on this swap and things started getting ugly when it came to the steering part of things ........also, since I have a 2000XJ and 17inch wheels I guess I wont be needing to deal with TJ hubs or upgrading the size of my wheels.

P&P SUPER CRAZY FIND OF THE YEAR!!!! 20$ I wish I found this 15 years ago........

Old October 15th, 2021, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

I have stock xj front brakes... cheap semi metalic pads and decent rotors... the rear is 8.8 disks with yet again cheap semi metalic pads and decent rotors.
This combo stops my 35s just fine by my book. I only tow a lawnmower with it nowadays but I see no need to change until steering needs to be done

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
Old October 15th, 2021, 20:18
NAXJA Forum User

Are you registered for the lawn mower weight

Old October 15th, 2021, 20:23
NAXJA Forum User

Lol with a 400k mile low compression 4.0, the 1k lb mower, and 1k lb trailer... going is more of a struggle than stopping! 😅

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
Old November 6th, 2021, 09:21
NAXJA Forum User

The WJ tie rod end locations are 1" lower. Use a ZJ pitman arm that is 0.75" lower to get it almost entirely back in alignment, then bolt up your standard XJ style steering.

Weld on a 0.25" spacer and 2000+ XJ hubs. This will center the rotor without any caliper spacers.

Voice of experience here - that is exactly how I swapped WJ brakes on to my 1999 XJ. After 10,000 miles I still love my WJ brakes, and love that I didn't spend $900+ on some swap kit.