• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans line fitting

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
What is this fitting called, and how do I take it apart? It sits between the trans cooler hard line and flex hose.

trans_line_fitting.jpg

Thanks.

--Matt

just squeeze those plastic ears against the metal line and pull. It will come apart. I thought it would be harder also but it not. Just be brave and do it.

Trans Line Quick Connect

It's called a quick connect (or quick connector). As above, squeeze the ears then pull straight (crooked doesn't do it!) out. If you take it apart, you are likely to need a rebuild kit from the dealer (about $15 whern I bought one) to replace the o-ring seals that are inside the connector. Procedure is to first make sure the old ones are out, then insert the new rings on the insertion tool, then withdraw the tool leaving the rings in place. Same idea for fuel line connectors on early-year XJs. On a tranny line, the pressure isn't very high, and a leak won't likely burn up the jeep....I'd try a reinstall with the existing rings first, and keep an eye on it for leaks. Fuel line: take no chances! 4xBob

save some money

I just changed my radiator and broke this stupid fitting. I call the dealership and they get $80 for the fitting and the line. I started looking at it and decided that it was not that important!
It is there because the dealership or Jiffy lube will use it to flush your ATF they just pull it apart and hook up their pump.
I simply went to the parts store and got some of the line and a hose clamp! If you notice this is what is on the other end anyways. Cost $4
By the way this also fixed a slow drip leak that I had from that fitting from when I first bought the jeep.
No regrets!!!!!

Back