• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc brakes in the rear

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all.

I need to rebuild the brakes in the rear of my XJ. I really want to go discs, and are wondering if there is any bolt-on alternatives. It's a D35, and I really don't want to spend too much on my daily driver. I know some ZJ's came with discs, but they are hard to find here in Norway, but it would definately be a good alternative. I have seen some writups on how to convert, but I lost those links in a computer crash, so please help me out. It's a 1988 XJ, 4.0, AW4,242,D30/D35.

What parts do I need if i want to transplant the front brakes from the WJ? I know this is a possibility, but is there any custom parts needed for this conversion? I have a brake booster and master cylinder off a 1998 ZJ so I will be customizing the booster for this conversion.

Thanks in advance!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Last edited:
try looking at offroad.com jeep page under cherokee i think that was the last place i saw that.

if your interested tera manufacturing offers a bolt on rear disc conversion that will work with the dana 44, 35 and the chrysler 8.25. i recently installed it at work on my 92 xj w/ 8.25 rear and the improvement was incredible. im running 33's and can lock them in a panic stop, believe me i found this out this morning. the kit comes with loaded calipers( with pads installed), calliper bracket and backing plate with e-brake shoes and hardware already installed, and brake hoses . kit also includes all the related nuts bolts and very clear instructions that i didn't use. oh yeah most important it includes the rotors (non vented) wich are predrilled with 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5. ran me about $430 from ok4wd.com check it out on teraflex.com

madmechanic said:
if your interested tera manufacturing offers a bolt on ......blah blah blah..... ran me about $430 from ok4wd.com check it out on teraflex.com

what kinda rear pads are you going to have to use? order them from tera??

Back