• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CHeap on board air.....

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
pictures are self explanitory... I got the idea somewhere on line(maybe from here.:D) but can't remember where.. anyway.. thanks to them.

the rack is my own twisted creation.. it has shelves and a pull out drawer.. I hadn't installed them when I took this pic.

I got the two compressors from a U Pull it for $10 dollars a piece. They came out of late 80's early 90's caddilacs. I added a check valve to also.. it's the brass fitting on the end of the tank. the lines from the compressors are high pressure fuel line and a pvc tee. I still need to find a CHEAP adjustable pressure switch.. right now I only bring it up to 75 psi...and turn it off with the switch.

tankandcompress.jpg

Notice the cool spongebob accessories.. courtousy of fathers day :D Switches for electric fan and compressors. I used a relay with the switch.
spngbb.jpg

Notice Cool welding job on my rack for the back... NOTE TO SELF.. NEVER WELD ON Galvanized steel again.. :eek:

backtrk.jpg

What kind of pumps are those, besides caddy? what were they used for on the caddy.

FYI,

That tubing looks like EMT.

If so it is galvanized and welding it puts off some very toxic fumes. Not a good thing to do.

mark
orgs mfg

Mark Hinkley said:
FYI,

That tubing looks like EMT.

If so it is galvanized and welding it puts off some very toxic fumes. Not a good thing to do.

mark
orgs mfg

I guess you didn't read my writing above the last pic. I know it was galvanized... I was outside.. upwind (or is it down :D) and I was holding my breath.. :D

Isn't that a pressure switch coming out of the tank on that little piece of tube? :dunno: Why don't you use that? Just run your power to one side,and hook the compressors to the other side and you have a pressure switch setup. :D

Georgia Mike said:
Isn't that a pressure switch coming out of the tank on that little piece of tube? :dunno: Why don't you use that? Just run your power to one side,and hook the compressors to the other side and you have a pressure switch setup. :D

That is a 110v pressure switch that is non adjustable(set at 100 psi) switching 110v switches with DC current is not a good idea..

It doesn't matter! The only thing I would do different is use the switch in front of a pair of 30 amp relays ($5 at Radio Shack) to handle the load. The switch will indeed switch a 12 volt source. The important thing to remember is that with every drop in current,amperage is increased. For example:

A 110 volt hair dryer would normally use 4-5 amps. If you decrease the volts by 10X,you get approximately 10 times the amperage for the same hair dryer,which would make the hair dryer draw an approximate 40-50 amps @ 12 volts.

Use the toggle switch you have (which, by the way is dangerous as hell at that type of load w/o relays to begin with) and use it to energize the pressure switch. Hook the other pole from the pressure switch to the pair of relays as the trigger wire. Run a dedicated *fused* power wire to the relays as the main power source,and a ground to the closest point possible (remember--12V flows from - to +,not + to -,so make your grounds as short and large as is possible!). Hook the pumps up,one to each relay output,and you're set up!

Why are you worried that the switch is set at 100 PSI anyway? Will the pumps not pump that much air? 100 PSI is perfect for just about anything you'd ever want to run on air. You have to understand my logic,here. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'm just a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle :D

Georgia Mike said:
It doesn't matter! The only thing I would do different is use the switch in front of a pair of 30 amp relays ($5 at Radio Shack) to handle the load. The switch will indeed switch a 12 volt source. The important thing to remember is that with every drop in current,amperage is increased. For example:

A 110 volt hair dryer would normally use 4-5 amps. If you decrease the volts by 10X,you get approximately 10 times the amperage for the same hair dryer,which would make the hair dryer draw an approximate 40-50 amps @ 12 volts.

Use the toggle switch you have (which, by the way is dangerous as hell at that type of load w/o relays to begin with) and use it to energize the pressure switch. Hook the other pole from the pressure switch to the pair of relays as the trigger wire. Run a dedicated *fused* power wire to the relays as the main power source,and a ground to the closest point possible (remember--12V flows from - to +,not + to -,so make your grounds as short and large as is possible!). Hook the pumps up,one to each relay output,and you're set up!

Why are you worried that the switch is set at 100 PSI anyway? Will the pumps not pump that much air? 100 PSI is perfect for just about anything you'd ever want to run on air. You have to understand my logic,here. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'm just a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle :D

The pressure switch CHATTERS if you use DC... trust me.. AC and DC relays and some switches are not compatible.. and this one isn't.

Who said I didn't have relays.. READ MY TOP POST AGAIN. .:rolleyes:

thanks for your informed opinion.

vsh said:
check your original post, the pics arn't working and i would like to see them RINGKONG

cheers
-V-

Sorry that is just my canadian filter kicking in.... it filters out anybody remotely associated with french culture......:D

Just kidding.. its back up..

Back