• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve stem tools

GRNT

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Does anyone know where you can get the tool that allows you to install a rubber valve while the tire is still on the rim without the tire bead having to be broken down?
It may be something that the military developed or someone else.
I know that I can break the tire down but with beadlocks it would be alot easier and with a valve stem that has a slow leak etc it would be easier to install a valve from the outside instead of breaking the bead and coming from the inside.
Thanks
GRNT

From the different tools I've used and seen I have never seen one that you can install from the outside. That would involve pushing the fat part through the whole which I don't think would work very well. My father, a lifelong mechanic has also never heard or seen this. If it was made by the military maybe you could find it at some random surplus website.

Dean

Never heard of it. I've seen two types that are used when the bead is broken (one is a rod about 8" long with a flex head that screws onto the new valve, the other is a flexible steel cable that screws onto the new stem), but I also don't know how you could force the fat part of the new valve stem through the hole into the rim from the outside. My experience has been that when I pull old valve out (using the first of the two tools I descrived above), more often than not the old valve breaks and leaves the fat part inside the tire anyway. It just doesn't want to go through that little hole.

Can't say as I've ever heard of this tool either. I'd like to see it if you find it. If you're not double locked, why don't you just pop the inner bead and fish it through?

Sean

Same as the above posts, I don't think you will find one. The pressure exerted by pressing the thing in would damage the vavle head.

That being said you could make something. It would have to thread on the end, reinforcing the length and press the whole thing thru a lubricated cylinder the same size as the hole on the rim.

But by the time you done making that you could debead, replace and reset the beads on numerous tires.

ive seen one in use before, the thing was pretty slick. maybe JnJ can get in here and clear out the cobwebs in my head with a reminder. i can tell you all the details surrounding the situation but for the life of me cant remember who made it.

it was at the end of the Best of The Best at June Big Dogs in 2000, JnJ was spotting for the guy who won it and he tore a valve stem halfway up the last article and did some serious hammering down to get out. fixed it on the access road with the tool in question.

Hunter

I searched over at Snapon.com and KD Tools for ya...didn't find anything like that.

:dunno: maybe JnJ can chime in?

Are you referring to the tool that I used on Brett's XJ last weekend? I picked mine up at the Safety Seal booth at TDS two years ago. You might try to get in contact with them and see what they have. As far as I know, it is an older military tool.
Andy

Yea, I was looking for it. I want to pick one up. I didn't get to see you use it on Bret's car but he told me about it. Should be a regular tool.
How was the rest of the week. We had a good run on Claw on Friday and then went up rattlesnake and up to the snow. I had trouble with the trackbar mount I added and had to bail out early. I think its time to pay some attention to my old beast.
I'll check out the safety seal people and see if I can get one of those tools.
Thanks Andy.
Mil

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
ive seen one in use before, the thing was pretty slick. maybe JnJ can get in here and clear out the cobwebs in my head with a reminder. i can tell you all the details surrounding the situation but for the life of me cant remember who made it.

it was at the end of the Best of The Best at June Big Dogs in 2000, JnJ was spotting for the guy who won it and he tore a valve stem halfway up the last article and did some serious hammering down to get out. fixed it on the access road with the tool in question.

Hunter

Yup, I remember everything about that day except the tool used. Sorry, I know, I suck....

Porch Puppy said:
Are you referring to the tool that I used on Brett's XJ last weekend? I picked mine up at the Safety Seal booth at TDS two years ago. You might try to get in contact with them and see what they have. As far as I know, it is an older military tool.
Andy

Holy Cow Andy posted :)

Back