NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 31st, 2007, 07:01
NAXJA Forum User

Clutch issue

Well, in january I did a clutch in the Jeep. It worked great for a while, but then a couple weeks ago it woudlnt want to go into gear, felt like I was losing pressure somewhere, so I replaced the clutch master cylinder, which didnt fix it. So i got to thinking that it was the flex hose and it had become weak and was stretching with the heat (since it started acting up as soon as the temp outside started rising).

Well, I got sick of replacing stuff so I brought it to the shop to have them figure out what it was, and I guess my buddies torque wrench is out of spec cause the bell housing bolts had come lose and my tranny itself was being forced back when I pressed the pedal down rather than disengaging the clutch. The guy at the shop tightened it all down, So the clutch felt great for a day or so, but now somethign similar is happening again... but what I find odd is that if I am driving and hit the brakes hard, and come to a quick stop, the next time i hit the clutch it feels great (at least it did every time this morning, when I figured this out), but if I am in traffic, it starts feelign worse and worse. Any ideas? I am checking the bolts again when I get home incase they came lose again, but the only other thing i could possibly think of is if the pressure plate itself had come a bit lose... would I maybe have this same issue? I have replaced everythign to do with the clutch minus the hard lines and the flex hose so I cant think of anything else.
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:39
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Clutch issue

I had a similar problem with hard shifting in traffic. I know this sounds basic, but it turned out that the clutch hydraulic system was a little low on fluid. I topped it off with DOT 3 brake fluid and it shifts much better now. Although, my clutch does engage a little lower than I'd like it to.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:50
NAXJA Forum User

This site is finally letting me back on... so I will get back to the issue.

It is not the fluid level, I checked that on several occasions already. The problem generally arises when it is hot out and esp after driving for a while. Also, like I said, in traffic, it slowly feels weaker and weaker and then randomly feels good again sometimes. Any other ideas of what I should look for?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:05
NAXJA Forum User

Could be moisture or water in the fluid, boils with heat then turns back into a liquid. What type of fluid did you use and did you use it out of an open bottle off the shelf in your garage... I think I would also throw a breaker bar on the bell housing bolts and see if they loosened up again, maybe the shops torque wrench is also out of spec or the bolts got rounded off from being loose.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

May be old fluid, I thought of that while I was filling it but it was late at that point and I was sick of working on stuff and needed it running (at least decently) for work the next day. It was an open bottle that was in the back of my rig for prolly a year and a half, give or take a couple months. So that could very well be it. I just bought a new bottle a week or two ago so I will try that later