• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 link rear, Fox shox on a 92 XJ

flexj

NAXJA Forum User
Pics are here if anyone is interested. http://community.webshots.com/user/hamyscj go into the rebirth II album.

It's not running yet, so no real testing, but it flexes real nice in the shop. I welcome comments, concerns and critiques.

Steve.

snoopy said:
How do you like them so far. I'm throwing on a set of those next week!

What preasure/oil combo did you use?

So far I love them...they look great sitting in the shop :thumbup:

As far as pressure, I got 200 psi and have 6" of shaft(average, right??) showing. Oil, I have no clue. I lost some when I let the factory charge out and haven't put any back in yet. They def. need some oil, though. I deal with that when I'm ready to drive it.

BrettM said:
I gave you some feedback on PBB also, you need to move the airshox out to the ends of the axle for stability, or run a swaybar.

Weeelllll, I can't move the shocks out further without cutting into the frame more. And at this point, I'm unwilling to do that. I guess I'll wait and see how it handles and deal with issues as they arise. Thanks for the heads up.

looks good to me so far, but i'm a "noob"

Kris

Looks good so far! A couple questions first, how high are you going and how far back did you move the rear axle? For a little tie in on the top I bolted my cage into the seat belt mounts . I do like the four link mounts and the angles. My next question, this is lack of knowledge on my part, I thought air shocks are for light weight rigs. I know my XJ has turned into a lead sled, and I have ripped everything out except the steering wheel. So when you find what setting works best for the shocks let us all know. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I'm in the process of fitting 9100 Bilstein rockcrawlers and i won't angle them this much and will also move them a lot more outwards than you did. In my calculations they would require stiffer springs and a stiffer valving to achieve the same results the more i move them inwards and the more angle they have.

scampbell53 said:
Looks good so far! A couple questions first, how high are you going and how far back did you move the rear axle? For a little tie in on the top I bolted my cage into the seat belt mounts . I do like the four link mounts and the angles. My next question, this is lack of knowledge on my part, I thought air shocks are for light weight rigs. I know my XJ has turned into a lead sled, and I have ripped everything out except the steering wheel. So when you find what setting works best for the shocks let us all know. Can't wait to see the finished product!

If my calculations are correct, I went for 6" of lift. I did not move the axle back any. It might have ended up back alittle since I have some ability to move it by adjusting out the heims.

Yes, the weight issue. I am pretty confident that my sprung weight in the rear is less that 2k lbs. Until it is mobile, I have no way of getting it to a scales.

I'd like to see pics of your cage if you have some.

If I have a fault(my wife would say "which one?"), it would be to settle for "good enough". My goal is to not let that happen with the rear shocks. I am going to do my best to get them dialed in right and not to settle for good enough. Keep checking the webshot website as I post new pics as I get things accomplished on the jeep. I'll have the fuel cell in and hopefully plummed and running this week.

XJoachim said:
I'm in the process of fitting 9100 Bilstein rockcrawlers and i won't angle them this much and will also move them a lot more outwards than you did. In my calculations they would require stiffer springs and a stiffer valving to achieve the same results the more i move them inwards and the more angle they have.

One thing I found out while mocking these in was that as the axle articulates, the shock coming up also seems to move outward. I was hitting the frame at early stages of up travel. I cut into the frame as much as I thought I could while still maintaining frame integrity. Maybe I will cut more and move the lower shock mount out, but not right now. The other thing I fould out, was that with these air shocks, they work alittle more smoothly towards the end of the travel than they do when they are mounted straight up and down.

How do you plan on getting around the frame? I'd be real interested in seeing some pics of your too. It's never too late to modify if someone figures out a more effective way.

scampbell53 said:
My next question, this is lack of knowledge on my part, I thought air shocks are for light weight rigs. I know my XJ has turned into a lead sled, and I have ripped everything out except the steering wheel. So when you find what setting works best for the shocks let us all know.
Billavista wrote up his use of the AirShocks on his 4,700 lb buggy. Check it out: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html

That's the article that got me from coilovers to these air shocks. I hope I did the right thing.

I don't think there's any question that your shocks are too close together. It's yet to be determined how much of a stability problem you'll end up having, but it will be there. You can compensate for it by stiffening the shocks up and by stiffening up the front, but that can hurt the ride quality, or you can run a sway bar in the rear.

Some nice work there, too bad you couldn't figure out a way to have better shock placement.

flexj said:
One thing I found out while mocking these in was that as the axle articulates, the shock coming up also seems to move outward. I was hitting the frame at early stages of up travel. I cut into the frame as much as I thought I could while still maintaining frame integrity. Maybe I will cut more and move the lower shock mount out, but not right now. The other thing I fould out, was that with these air shocks, they work alittle more smoothly towards the end of the travel than they do when they are mounted straight up and down.

How do you plan on getting around the frame? I'd be real interested in seeing some pics of your too. It's never too late to modify if someone figures out a more effective way.
what about mounting them to the outside of your cage, through the already opened fenders, to the very outer edge of the axle, just 1 inch inside the disc?

flexj said:
....The other thing I fould out, was that with these air shocks, they work alittle more smoothly towards the end of the travel than they do when they are mounted straight up and down.

This is because they're losing spring rate. I dont know the figures for airshox but if you have a 200lb/in single coil coilover mounted vertically it takes 200lb to compress it 1 inch. The further you lean the shock away from vertical, the more spring rate you lose and less force is required to compress it.

There are calculators for this out on the web, and YES I know you dont have springs but it's the same issue.

-jb

one thing about the air shox is that the "springrate" increases greatly at the end of travel, so it makes sense that people like the last few inches of travel better with them angled. several of the guys that have really researched the airshox have tried coming up with a good way to compare the "springrate" to normal spring rates, but it just doesn't work. to chart travel vs. springrate would result in a very odd graph.

I have read the Billavista article on POR about his work with AirShox on his non-street driven buggy. I hope they work well on this XJ.

Any shock mounted at an angle is not as effective as a vertically mounted shock, airshock, coilover shock, etc etc. And if the shocks are increasing in angle on compression rather than straightening then they are becoming less & less effective.

Hopefully the airshox stated increase in rate will compensate somewhat for this, but the tube buggies that I've seen with them are mounted vertically.

-jb

vintagespeed said:
I have read the Billavista article on POR about his work with AirShox on his non-street driven buggy.

but the tube buggies that I've seen with them are mounted vertically.

-jb

read it again, at the top of the article is Team Purple's buggy and the front and rear shocks are angled. I think Bill did his verticle because his is so heavy. I'm nearly certain all the "moon buggies" are running them angled.

LS1%20MOON%20BUGGY0003.jpg

big thing though, is that they are ALL running them very far out on the axle.

Back