• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear unibody frame plating

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm plating my rails, after spending 1/2 a day getting the LCA and trackbar mounts off, and wasn't sure about how to plate the rear of my XJ. Do people remove the rear spring hangers and plate the rails then re-attach the mounts? or just leave the mounts and weld the reinforcements to it? I understand that when plating the unibody you don't want vertical seams, you want to angle them to avoid cracking there. help?

good luck with removing them in one piece, much less putting them back on once removed. What do you plan on doing with the truck that warrants redoing the spring hangers? I redid mine but it is going to be beat badly and did it mainly to get rid of the weld nuts for maintenance/hardware replacement.
IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

From what I've seen of people's plating the rear most of them cut off the spring hangers and plate it then build custom hangers alot stronger than the factory style.

I eventually will be doing a chop and cage and will be tying into the plate, so I thought might as well do the whole thing now. I've got a 9" and hpd44 , soon to be spooled, so I want the extra beef to handle that. I'd like to move the 9" back an inch or 2, and now would be the time for it. I'm not worried about having to build my own hangers, I was just curious to see what others did for the hangers on back.
Did you build those yourself?

Damn Chris those new hangers you built look awsome. I gotta get up there and learn a thing or two.

whitneyj said:
I eventually will be doing a chop and cage and will be tying into the plate, so I thought might as well do the whole thing now. I've got a 9" and hpd44 , soon to be spooled, so I want the extra beef to handle that. I'd like to move the 9" back an inch or 2, and now would be the time for it. I'm not worried about having to build my own hangers, I was just curious to see what others did for the hangers on back.
Did you build those yourself?
cool deal, just curious. I built them myself, got more pics if you are looking for ideas, otherwise pretty self explanatory.
Good luck

swbooking said:
Damn Chris those new hangers you built look awsome. I gotta get up there and learn a thing or two.
Those weren't the first version, those are still on the shelf:) Thanks though, you are welcome anytime to come by, not sure if you would learn anything though, possibly a few new curse words

Nice work on those hangers Chris...when are we racing??

Back