• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plating frame

I used this as a reference:

http://1997jeepcherokee.blogspot.com/2007/01/frame-stiffeners.html

Here's what I did on mine:
I used a couple of flapper discs to clean up all of the undercoating first.

I picked up some 3"x3"x.12 angle steel to plate the outside of the frame rails. At this point, I only am plating the areas between the front control arm mount, and the rear spring mount. I went with 1/8th thick, as many of the other threads I have read on this say 1/4" is waaay overkill, and even 3/16th was a bit much. Plus, not being a pro welder, I figured my chances of attaching 1/8th to the stock sheet metal were better.

I cut the angle so I could match the change in height of the frame rails. I drilled 1/2" holes about every 6" for plug welds. I marked where existing holes were in the frame rails to make sure my plug welds weren't on top of those. I welded up the front and rear ends, and then stich welded the edges to the existing frame rails. I tried to get these stiches to alternate the plug welds.

P1020582.jpg

P1020577.jpg

P1020572.jpg

P1020571.jpg

P1030091.jpg

I run the HD Offroad stiffeners in the middle, along with a rigidco front bumper, and a c4x4 rear.

Theres no flex at the ends, and middle, but there is flex in the wheel wells, so I need to add the front and middle stiffeners, because all the creaks are back.

Running only center stiffeners seems to just relocate the stress to the front and rear.
The front reinforcement
IMG00122-20100131-1131.jpg

Center
junk007.jpg

Thanks for the great links all. Ive decided after taking out axles and transfer case crossmember i will reinforce frame from bumper to bumper with 3x3x3/16 angle. I am going to do alot more rosettes then what ive seen above just for peace of mind.
thanks dave

I ended up just ordering the ruff stuff stiffeners. Ive been pretty lazy lately.

Good luck with yours, take lots of pics.

I am waiting on my dad to get his jeep out of his shop. He has to finish putting his stroker together.:twak: I'll be starting hopefuly late april/may. Ill take some pics, but i am a tard and havent figured out how to post them properly.
dave

Back