• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

They would have made millions

Because they are Chinese, and of poor quality. There was actually a person on here a while ago from China, and even said that they were poor quality. As far as getting them into the US, I don't think you can.

Jeep didn't produce them in America because they still had the Cherokee line going, it was called the Liberty.

You can buy parts from china to convert your current XJ to look like one. So far there have already been 2 group buys.

You can buy one for $11,500 with no engine. I'd imagine you could then import it and put a 4.0 from a US spec XJ and register it as a Jeep Cherokee. The hardest part would be getting it here. If I had the excess money, I'd do it. I like the interiors on them too. It's basically a pre-97 body with a new front clip and tail lights, 97+ interior with some extra touchs of (fake?) aluminum and little things to make it a little nicer.

http://www.chinacartimes.com

I know there have been a few threads about this but I have searched with no results. Does anyone have any specs on the 2005 chinese jeep cherokee? Does it have IFS or solid front axle. And does anyone know how I could buy one? Also does anyone know why jeep didnt produce these in america, they would have done so well.

Heres a pic of an awsome set up http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Chinajeep.jpg
Apparently they wouldn't have done so well, if you think about it. It was essentially a 1984 design that had been spruced up a little here and there but in all honesty, as much we love our Cherokees, they weren't keeping up with the marketplace.

Also if I am not mistaken most of the manufacturers have legal agreements to NOT bring them in, VW air cooled bugs comes to mind, they made them in Mexico and may still make them now, CJ's also come to mind in India as well as Royal Enfield and BSA. Now the technology has gotten so far behind in the designs that it would not be practical to bring them up to current specs, where would you put side impact airbags in the XJ ?

I think they just canned the original Bug a couple years back. 60 yr production run though, pretty damn good!

Back