• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searched motor compatability

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have a
88 xj 4.0/aw4/np231
The original motor took a poop like 2 months ago and so I changed out for the HO version swithched over all the Non HO sensors and added A TB spacer that was moded to fit the renix TB(homemade TB Abapter)

A buddy wants the same motor in his so he can get all the great power(ha) and the upgrades that the HO can get.

My Q. is will the HO out of a Grand Cherokee work to?
I will be doing the same Sensor swap and TB adapter to it but is there any diffrence like with bolting up his A/C or alt. power stearing. I will be changing the cherokee bracets for all those but will the bolt holes be in the same place?

Need replies quick please have 30 min to buy the motor or not

It is out of a 98 and has 78K on it

It should. There were not a lot of changes to the engine casting proper, and the engine end of OBD-I and OBD-II are largely the same - just make sure you get sensors that are compatible with the engine controller you're using.

It's a lot like swapping SBChevvy engines - you can get pretty much any SBChevvy and swap it for any other - just update/replace the controls so they're compatible with the target vehicle.

5-90

ok i just ran into a problem the motor is out of a 98 grand cherokee and the fuel rail only has one inlet at the front.

Is there no return line and what about the fuel pressure regulator?

what should I do guys?

can I just not run the reture line and let the stock non HO pump regulate it or do i need to get a newer punp?

will the new pump work with the assembaly?

OBD-II (1996 and up) had the regulator sitting on the pump in the fuel tank - along with the fuel filter (why?) Therefore, only one fuel fitting on the fuel rail.

I believe the OBD-I fuel rails will fit the OBD-II intake (OBD-I - 1991-1995,) but I haven't verified this experimentally. I also do not recall if the OBD-I rail has provisions for a fuel pressure regulator.

The RENIX fuel rail has different injector spacing, I believe, and won't work to begin with (but you are encouraged to try and report your results. If it don't fit, don't force it - you don't want an engine bay fire...) The RENIX rail does, however, have provision for a fuel pressure regulator.

Is it any wonder I'm working on a fuel rail design, as a "blue-sky" project?

I'd also think it may be possible to exchange your current pump for an OBD-II unit, and therefore have the integral regulator (and do away with all this fuel rail conversion nonsense...) Either way, please report your results - this is the sort of information I'm collecting...

5-90

I can get a inline fuel pressure regulator from ebay really cheap like 25 bones shipped to my door.

Will this work If i mount it on the fire wall with the fuel line going into it and one exiting it going to the rail.

The one I am bidding for is adjustable from 0-180 psi.

You probably have two options. First, use your Renix fuel rail. You would need to reposition the screw tabs to bolt it to the intake manifold or I've heard of some who zip tie the piece on. The other is to use a 91-95 fuel rail. They have two fuel lines going to the front and a pressure regulator. The Renix has one front and rear. You would need to adapt the fuel line to the hard lines on the chasis. I'm doing something simular. An '03 in an '88. I am changing to '95 electronics though.
Tom

I got it all figured out now guys I am going back to the salvage and getting the fuel tank and pump ouot of it for cheap and just going to swap it in the jeep then I will have a little bit larger tank and the pump with the fuel pressure regulator in it.

Ill let you all now how it com es out.

Back