• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leaking from air intake??

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
what does this mean?? i thought it could be from a clogged ccv.... well i replaced that all today, and no luck. ive searched already and i just dont have hte time to keep up with the guessing game.
TIA

89 4.0 auto 231

No offense intended, but a little better description of what you did would help.

Did you clean out the residual oil in the vacuum harness lines?

Did you clean out the vacuum port on the intake manifold?

Did you clean out the metered orifice in the rear valve cover so the vacuum can do its job?

It is possible that your engine is worn to the point that enough blow-by is pressurizing the crankcase. Done a compression test lately?

Also, read an interesting post recently describing modding the valve cover on the early engines to reduce the pickup of oil, but can't seem to remember the details--getting old, don't you know.

EDIT: maybe some of this might help you: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1024377&highlight=valve+cover+modification

Last edited:
Also, read an interesting post recently describing modding the valve cover on the early engines to reduce the pickup of oil, but can't seem to remember the details--getting old, don't you know.
Was that the mod where you chop off an inch or two of the tubes on the underside of the valve cover that are below the ccv grommets?

I probably posted the valve cover mod. Back in my dealership days, the factory unofficially had a fix for oil in the air cleaner. It was happening on new vehicles of Renix vintage. I had the opportunity to gander at my old cheat sheet binder from those years on Friday so the procedure is fresh in my head. I have slept since then but feel confident I still remember it. Remove the valve cover and then remove the tubes by removing three screws. Chop 1 inch off both of them. Then, about a half inch up from the area where you just sawed them off, drill a half inch hole in the tubes which will face to the rear of the valve cover. Clean everything up nicely and reinstall.

I probably posted the valve cover mod. Back in my dealership days, the factory unofficially had a fix for oil in the air cleaner. It was happening on new vehicles of Renix vintage. I had the opportunity to gander at my old cheat sheet binder from those years on Friday so the procedure is fresh in my head. I have slept since then but feel confident I still remember it. Remove the valve cover and then remove the tubes by removing three screws. Chop 1 inch off both of them. Then, about a half inch up from the area where you just sawed them off, drill a half inch hole in the tubes which will face to the rear of the valve cover. Clean everything up nicely and reinstall.

awesome, thank you

Was that the mod where you chop off an inch or two of the tubes on the underside of the valve cover that are below the ccv grommets?

Yes, you have won a cookie! Have a link to that?

Never mind the link!

Way cool sounding mod.

Dang it! Wish I would have found this thread about a week ago. Now my valve cover is all clean and back on. I'll give the hack and drill method a try if it still dumps oil on my new filter.

Thanks for the info guys...

I tried this, at first I only cut a half inch off then I took another half inch and drilled the hole on tha backside and it still blowing oil out. Although it doesn't seem to have as much coming out now, it is still a noticable amount.

Has anybody else tried this yet?

I'll bet your engine is tired.

Sounds like it, doesn't it.

Time for a compression test, run it dry and then wet, post up your numbers.

Back