NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 16th, 2018, 13:52
NAXJA Forum User

Interchangeability question

I bought a rust free 2000 with what I now believe to be a trashed engine ant trans. It started but wouldn't move and made so many different noises it was impossible to tell what was going on. Got rid of some noises but after further inspection believe neither is worth fixing. Both have over 200k miles, so not a big surprise. What years would be a direct swap and how difficult is it to swap? I was told to do it as a whole unit, is that correct? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old April 16th, 2018, 14:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Interchangeability question

2000-01 are the only "direct" fits!
Old April 16th, 2018, 15:16
Freakish Hand Strength

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets. Difficulty depends on your skill level/experience and your available tools.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.

Read this thread about AW-4 transmission swapping >> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old April 16th, 2018, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

I need to check for the notorious crack in the cyl. head, but judging by what the coolant system looks like, my guess is that it is cracked. Thank you for the quick and expert response.
Old April 16th, 2018, 18:43
NAXJA Member

Is your 2000 federal or cali emissions? Do you have the 2 pre-cats under the hood?
Old April 16th, 2018, 19:15
NAXJA Forum User

Interchangeability question

You should try to use 99 or older parts. Trans and engine is the same just more reliable because Chrysler didn't run AMC design by using cheap materials until 00. May have to use your sensors, injectors and intake from the original engine. Only thing I'm not sure is how the coil pack transfers over but it was better with a distributor anyways since the coil pack Chrysler slapped on was lack luster

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old April 16th, 2018, 21:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgalexg View Post
You should try to use 99 or older parts. Trans and engine is the same
AW4 transmission interchangeability would be 1998-2001, which are all likely to have similar mileage. The AW4 is fairly robust and 200k miles isn't that high. Could be a simple problem.
Old April 17th, 2018, 03:30
NAXJA Forum User

Well, when I looked at it 1st, noticed that the was a ton of P/S fluid leaking and the trans cross member was dripping ATF. Figured it might have been run low enough to cause it to stop moving. When I got it home and checked it properly, found it over filled with new fluid. Figured it was toast at that point.
Old April 17th, 2018, 05:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer400 View Post
Well, when I looked at it 1st, noticed that the was a ton of P/S fluid leaking and the trans cross member was dripping ATF. Figured it might have been run low enough to cause it to stop moving. When I got it home and checked it properly, found it over filled with new fluid. Figured it was toast at that point.
Try draining some out of the pan. Might be alright

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old April 17th, 2018, 20:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Check the tranny cooler lines. Sometimes the metal clips holding it to the oilpan wear through the line and they start leaking. Also make sure you're checking with the tranny at operating temp in neutral with the engine running and the parking brake set.
Old April 18th, 2018, 10:21
XJholic

Quote:
I bought a rust free 2000 with what I now believe to be a trashed engine ant trans. It started but wouldn't move and made so many different noises it was impossible to tell what was going on. Got rid of some noises but after further inspection believe neither is worth fixing. Both have over 200k miles, so not a big surprise. What years would be a direct swap and how difficult is it to swap? I was told to do it as a whole unit, is that correct? Any help would be much appreciated.
00-01 as stated is what you can drop in, past that It become a pain to start swapping over other engine parts. I dumped my 01 project after starting to see how difficult it was going to be to swap over my 93 parts. You have Coil on plug, 2 cats, intake manifold is slightly different, same with exhaust. Yes, you can swap stuff over but was more work than I wanted to put in to mine. Trans 98+ is the best earlier years can be swapped but a gain a lot more work.