• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case noise?

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
'91/4.0/AW4/NP231/D30 8.25 3.55s

So let me just say that at first I had a vacuum disconnect axle and had only heard this noise when in 4WD (aka front shaft was turning). I just recently swapped in a non-disconnect axle, and now even in 2wd (front shaft turns now) i get this weird grinding/howling noise. I'm going to assume it has to do with the front driveshaft? I've tried the powerbraking in 4LO as a chain test and it doesnt buck or anything. I know that my rear output seal is leaking too, but I doubt that would make a sound? Also, I know my front output yoke has some play in it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have narrowed it to the T-case, either pull it and inspect/replace affected parts, or live with it until it tells you which part to replace.

I only checked it when the vacuum disconnect axle was in with it in 2wd and it had play in it, I'll check it when its engaged in 4wd today with the non-disco.

Back