• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building a dual sport

chilidipper

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought my first XJ, it is 1997. I have owned Wranglers in the past and hooked up with a group of guys that were just doing rock crawling, that was cool but always limited and didn't do so well in the open desert.
I lucked up and found one that had some work done on a, it has a 6 inch lift rubicon express coils and springs,
is sitting on 33 inch tires. On your ears shocks or mounts on the axle tubes or on the bottom of the floor. I have seen several relocation brackets just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these mounting brackets. Big question_ relocation? Or stick to standard mounting brackets?
What type shocks will work best in a dual sport (jeepspeed. Crawling) Xj?

What's probably confusing folks is that the Term "Dual Sport" is a Motorcycle term to describe a Street/Trail machine.

So you want a shock, that will do both Jeep Speed and Rock Crawling well, and you want to know what folks ar using for Shocks and Mounting locations.

So what is it running for a suspension now? Long arms and leafs out back, or short arms and leafs out back, coils all the way around?

What level of modification are you comfortable with? I've seen shocks mounted as high as the hood in front and though the cargo area in back.

There are quite a few folks here with King of the Hammers experience, infact Richard has a Thread on all his and Cals KOH modifications. You migh want to look it over.

building a dual sport- Jeepspeed and Crawler

Yes, want a shock, that will do both jeepspeed desert cruising and Crawling .
Has long arms, Coils and Leaf's today. Think the leafs are a bit sloppy. No shocks it is hard to tell.

Curious to hear what people using for Shocks and Mounting locations.

Level of Mods I am comfortable with? I want capability, but not extreme. Dont think i want shocks mounted as high as the hood in front and though the cargo area in back. Maybe relocated underneath,
Need some ideas....

A shock that works for hauling butt in the whoops should do just fine in the rocks.

Maybe read through the Naxja 4643 Jeepspeed thread.

Back