• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is Causing My Bad Vibes?

dubes454

NAXJA Forum User
About two weeks ago I put on a 2.5" lift on a 97 xj (add a leaf in rear and new coils in the front). Overall it went pretty well. I added new 31 BFG KO's also. Now when I hit about 65 miles an hour on the freeway I have pretty significant vibrations and sound. They are coming from the rear end and are constant (doesnt matter if I am accel/decel).

I know my new tires will cause a higher level of noise, but it seems like this is too loud to be tires. Can anyone tell me whether this is due to my tires or not? If it is not due to my new tires, then I plan on shimming my rear end to line up the drive angles a little better. Also, is it worth shimming without adding a SYE?

Any info would help, thanks!

Last edited:
dubes454 said:
About two weeks ago I put on a 2.5" lift on a 97 xj (add a leaf in rear and new coils in the front). Overall it went pretty well. I added new 31 BFG KO's also. Now when I hit about 65 miles an hour on the freeway I have pretty significant vibrations and sound. They are coming from the rear end and are constant (doesnt matter if I am accel/decel).

I know my new tires will cause a higher level of noise, but it seems like this is too loud to be tires. Can anyone tell me whether this is due to my tires or not? If it is not due to my new tires, then I plan on shimming my rear end to line up the drive angles a little better. Also, is it worth shimming without adding a SYE?

Any info would help, thanks!

Welcome to NAXJA.

Here at NAXJA, we have a handy dandy feature we refer to as the SEARCH feature. Feel free to utilize it at any time during your visits.

Tires should not cause vibes. You might have to lower the TC.

Please read this.

Well thanks!

I did some searching and did not find a post that specifically addressed my current problem (wheels or driveline, and if driveline then shim with out SYE). So I was looking for some interactive help, not just the history of other problems solved.

Thanks for showing me the search feature though, you were a big help.

I did the same lift on my '99. I did need a TC drop (1 inch) and 2.5* shims (thick end forward to push pinion down - with a SYE the thick end goes in the back to push the pinion up so it points at the TC)

Also - if you haven't already done so - get it aligned. I didn't because I was running old tires and suffered severe DW after a few months. Now is great time to align it anyway as you have just spent $ on new tires.

Also - search your a$$ off on this forum! There are literally thousands of posts on every manner of mistake / modification / and fix. Learn from others experience. It cost less that way.

Thanks for the advice! I was a little confused on your shim explanation. So if I shim the rear axle without the SYE, I want to place the thick end of the shim forward in order to point the diff more upwards?

Where do people usually pick up the shims from?

I plan on getting an alignment pretty soon, but want to shim it first.

dubes454
Where do people usually pick up the shims from?

Lowes, HomeDepot
DYI with a scrap 2x4 and a table saw.

dubes454 said:
Well thanks!

I did some searching and did not find a post that specifically addressed my current problem (wheels or driveline, and if driveline then shim with out SYE). So I was looking for some interactive help, not just the history of other problems solved.

Thanks for showing me the search feature though, you were a big help.

You must not have looked vey hard. I searched and found good info in about 2min. Your on your own now as far as I'm concerned. I tried to point you in the right direction. If your too dagum lazy to find it yourself, too bad. 3 post and your already cocky. WTF?

McFly ring a bell to anybody?

Highmiles said:
Also - search your a$$ off on this forum! There are literally thousands of posts on every manner of mistake / modification / and fix. Learn from others experience. It cost less that way.

Good advise.:thumbup:
Heard that somewhere before I think!

Lou said:
I know that some of the MidWest folks are partial to Oak, but would Cedar do in a pinch?
Will work but not reccomended. You can actually take JBWeld and form it in the shape of a wedge too.

Dubes,
I was once where you are (and not too long ago) so here's good advice:

Go to a few vendor's web sites (I'm partial to Rubicon Express, but you decide)

Go through thier on-line catalog of suspension parts

Type any item you don't recognize into the search feature of this site - for example "degree shim". You will find loads of information.

Also, if you don't already have one, buy a factory service manual for your XJ. They are extremely helpful in teaching you about your Jeep.

My advice above stands - T-case drop, shim & align. Priority #1 is the tc drop and alignment, fine tune with shims (and yes they do go in different ways depending on whether you have a SYE or not)

The detail of the hows and whys on my above advice have been extensively documented on this site. SEARCH and LEARN Grasshopper

Haleyes said:
You must not have looked vey hard. I searched and found good info in about 2min. Your on your own now as far as I'm concerned. I tried to point you in the right direction. If your too dagum lazy to find it yourself, too bad. 3 post and your already cocky. WTF?

McFly ring a bell to anybody?

Good advise.:thumbup:
Heard that somewhere before I think!

Why not 277 posts are your pretty damn cocky!!!!!

jrsxj98 said:

do posts matter?

i have 3,XXX some and everyone still thinks im a fawktard...

though i dont have a "Camper Special" front end....

XJ_ranger said:
do posts matter?

i have 3,XXX some and everyone still thinks im a fawktard...

though i dont have a "Camper Special" front end....

Not really, the guy was just asking a simple question, and gets flamed.

nevermind im not even gonna get into it.

XJ_ranger said:
i dont have a "Camper Special" front end....

yet!:laugh3:

:kissyou:

jrsxj98 said:

OK if you say so....I'm done here.

Back