• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all guys that are running OX lockers.

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
Well, I scored a D30 OX locker...but the cable is worn out, how long do these things last? How long of one should I order? Anything else I should watch out for? I know Jes is running one with success, so I figure it will work well for me.

Only ba$tard part is I have to get rid of my $bling$ Crane Cover...:(

Thanks in Advance!

:cheers:

hjeepxj said:
Well, I scored a D30 OX locker...but the cable is worn out, how long do these things last? How long of one should I order? Anything else I should watch out for? I know Jes is running one with success, so I figure it will work well for me.

Thanks in Advance!

the cable is gonna run you about $75
they are pretty nice but thye have to be installed perfectly.. the cable is very important because the fork must activate the locker perfectly.. they are pretty reliable but take some finesse to get adjusted at first.

PS their customer service sucks

rangerjoe2001 said:
the cable is gonna run you about $75
they are pretty nice but thye have to be installed perfectly.. the cable is very important because the fork must activate the locker perfectly.. they are pretty reliable but take some finesse to get adjusted at first.

PS their customer service sucks

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

hmm...thanks for the tip too, better make sure my install guy knows how to do it right. :cheers:

jrsxj98 said:
Let me know when it is time to let the bling go. :wave1:

Will do! :cheers:

You still interested in those shafts? Im in no hurry, as I was able to sell some other stuff, but Ill prolly try and sell them now if you arent interested.

REDDOGG.XJ said:
What Shafts?

Well, the ones me and Justin are talkin aboot are 297 shafts, HOWEVER...the front end I scored with the OX has another set of 297s w/760 ujoints, so that will be for sale soon too.

hjeepxj said:

Thanks in Advance!

From what Laz told me at Ox Tech Support the cable lasts 200 to 300,000 cycles. I picked up a dana 30 a while back with an Ox installed. Problem(s) I have is that the Ox was one of their older units with known problems (Locking Gear design caused locker to disengage when enough force is applied, Shifter fork is pressed on not threaded preventing positive engagement after use, shifter level has been redesigned several times original has L and U for locked and unlocked the newest has an X and an O because it didn't have enough throw to allow for positive engagement at all times. Long story short I may need to replace the whole unit as a result of it's known problems. :mad:

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have bought the unit. Not enough of a presence in the industry to get proper support. Some people have had great sucess with them but I'm not one of them. Good luck...

I hope your cable isn't purple....that would be one of the first cables available. Which means you may have one of the first lockers as well. The locking gear should be back cut and the shifter fork should be threaded onto the cover, not be pressed on.

Definitely make sure you either take it to someone with experience with Ox Lockers or take your time in setting it up.

btray

btraysxj said:
From what Laz told me at Ox Tech Support the cable lasts 200 to 300,000 cycles. I picked up a dana 30 a while back with an Ox installed. Problem(s) I have is that the Ox was one of their older units with known problems (Locking Gear design caused locker to disengage when enough force is applied, Shifter fork is pressed on not threaded preventing positive engagement after use, shifter level has been redesigned several times original has L and U for locked and unlocked the newest has an X and an O because it didn't have enough throw to allow for positive engagement at all times. Long story short I may need to replace the whole unit as a result of it's known problems. :mad:

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have bought the unit. Not enough of a presence in the industry to get proper support. Some people have had great sucess with them but I'm not one of them. Good luck...

I hope your cable isn't purple....that would be one of the first cables available. Which means you may have one of the first lockers as well. The locking gear should be back cut and the shifter fork should be threaded onto the cover, not be pressed on.

Definitely make sure you either take it to someone with experience with Ox Lockers or take your time in setting it up.

btray

FANTATSTIC help! Thanks!

Now, how to determine which one I have.

So if the cable is "purple" it is one of the older units? Will it be the covering over the cable, or the actual cable that is purple? And maybe he replaced the cable, so what would be the easiest way to check when I get it apart?

I am going to guess it is not one of the older units? I am not sure how long they have been out, but he has never had a problem that I know of...? I will shoot him a PM with my new found knowledge. :D

hjeepxj said:
FANTATSTIC help! Thanks!

Now, how to determine which one I have.

So if the cable is "purple" it is one of the older units? Will it be the covering over the cable, or the actual cable that is purple? And maybe he replaced the cable, so what would be the easiest way to check when I get it apart?

I am going to guess it is not one of the older units? I am not sure how long they have been out, but he has never had a problem that I know of...? I will shoot him a PM with my new found knowledge. :D

The covering is going to be either purple or black, purple being the original cables used. The shifter mechanism is marked for locked and unlocked. If it has an X and an O then your stoked. If it has an L and a U then your not. Once you pull the cover you'll know if the shifter fork is pressed on or threaded. Lastly if you pull the carrier the locking gear should be back cut. If not then the locking gear and ring are known to not remain engaged (locked). This is how I found out I had a problem. I would approach an obstacle locked with both tires under power and when the going got tough the locker would "pop" and the unit would be disengaged (open diff), preventing me from making the obstacle. The guy I bought the unit from wasn't having any problems either..... go figure.

Here is the info I have for Ox:

Florida Manafacturing is the company name located in Odessa Florida.
Main office number is 727-569-6000. I have a cell phone for Laz in Tech Support as well as an email, [email protected], if you pm or email me I'll give you his cell phone. Just don't think it would be right to post his cell phone on the boards. I got all of this info from knowing other people who have experienced problems.... keep that in mind if you haven't bought the unit yet.

btray
[email protected]

What's wrong with your Crane cover? Is it for your front dana 30? I'm looking for strong diff covers for my dana 30/dana 44 combo.
Troy

btraysxj said:
The covering is going to be either purple or black, purple being the original cables used. The shifter mechanism is marked for locked and unlocked. If it has an X and an O then your stoked. If it has an L and a U then your not. Once you pull the cover you'll know if the shifter fork is pressed on or threaded. Lastly if you pull the carrier the locking gear should be back cut. If not then the locking gear and ring are known to not remain engaged (locked). This is how I found out I had a problem. I would approach an obstacle locked with both tires under power and when the going got tough the locker would "pop" and the unit would be disengaged (open diff), preventing me from making the obstacle. The guy I bought the unit from wasn't having any problems either..... go figure.

Here is the info I have for Ox:

Florida Manafacturing is the company name located in Odessa Florida.
Main office number is 727-569-6000. I have a cell phone for Laz in Tech Support as well as an email, [email protected], if you pm or email me I'll give you his cell phone. Just don't think it would be right to post his cell phone on the boards. I got all of this info from knowing other people who have experienced problems.... keep that in mind if you haven't bought the unit yet.

btray
[email protected]

Thank you much for the help! Now to just wait and see which one it is...heres to hopin...:cheers:

PS, you got PM.

Big Red said:
What's wrong with your Crane cover? Is it for your front dana 30? I'm looking for strong diff covers for my dana 30/dana 44 combo.
Troy

Nothing's wrong, just some scuffs, you just have to use the special OX diff cover to run the ox.

Jes said:
I'm using a 84" cable for my front locker.

Hey Jes, how did you route the cable? Through the firewall or up through the tranny tunnel?

Just curious...

Thanks,
btray

btraysxj said:
Hey Jes, how did you route the cable? Through the firewall or up through the tranny tunnel?

Just curious...

Thanks,
btray

I have the shifters mounted in my center console so the front one runs through it and then through an existing hole(at least on my '93) in the firewall that's about 1 o'clock from the gas pedal.

Jes said:
I have the shifters mounted in my center console so the front one runs through it and then through an existing hole(at least on my '93) in the firewall that's about 1 o'clock from the gas pedal.

That's how I should have run mine... I drilled a hole through the trans tunnel. You probably read my posts so I'm curious... if you had to do it again would you go OX?

btray

Jes said:
I did, I just bought one for the HP Dana44 I'm building.

Hells yea... I need to make a decision to fix my existing unit, replace it with a new one, or scrap the OX and go with something else so thanks for the input.

btray

Back