• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cup Holder????

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
OK this is a really stupid question. My '88 XJ has no cupholders.

There had to be factory cup holders somewhere on it... in arm rest right?? Where were they so I can start looking for a replacement and DRINK my coffee instead of wearing it.

Thanks!

The cup holder mentioned above is not the factory one, although much better than the factory one. The factory one is a POS that clips onto the side of the center console on the passenger side. Its basically worthless because if you put any weight in it your drink will fall on the floor and you will have a great big mess to clean up. :mad:

Atl XJ said:
The cup holder mentioned above is not the factory one, although much better than the factory one. The factory one is a POS that clips onto the side of the center console on the passenger side. Its basically worthless because if you put any weight in it your drink will fall on the floor and you will have a great big mess to clean up. :mad:

You must have something wrong, then. I routinely carry a couple of large coffees in mine.

It is subject to a passenger kick, though.

ChiXJeff

Thanks for the info... already checked Ebay with no luck. Anyone know of a place that sells them? Having no cupholder SUCKS. My carpet and my clothes get covered in coffee!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I found the one that goes over the e-brake handle at the salvage yard. It works ok -but- the console latch broke due to the extra thickness of the plastic. Still don't see how to adjust it for more room, so I haven't fixed it yet. And it doesn't work with some cups - '90's era won't handle Big Gulps. And if you use the e-brake parking a lot it shrouds the handle.

It sure beats nothing, tho.

4Wheel Drive Hardware has them for $14.95. They are listed under "Factory console drink holder" (their product number #212). Go to the website and do a search on "drink holder". NOT "cup holder" though; I made that mistake already. Or maybe this link will work:

http://www.4wd.com/shopwrangler/DisplayProduct.asp?ProductSKU=212

Hope this helps.

Personally mine should be called "Spare change, crimps, nuts, and bolts holder". I'm not sure Chrysler would go for that idea.

When you search on ebay, try using the following string:
jeep cherokee -grand cup

I just found quite a few, although they were all "Above the E-brake"

Chris

"Spare change, crimps, nuts, and bolts holder". :D

Yeah - and vent wing locks, too.

(Not to hijack the thread - the TSB on leaky vent wings is - take them out and put it the big glass!)

Has anybody tried the cup hangers that clip to the dash vents? I get an uneasy feeling about them . .

thanks guys... I'll probably just grab the over the ebrake thing. Appreciate the help!

:cheers:

H.S. -That cup holder offered at 4WheelDrive Hardware is for the above the e-brake type btw. Which is probably gonna be the one you'll want.

TiRod- A cup holder that attaches to the vents? So *that's* how that old lady got scalded with McDonald's coffee! The truth is out.

My vent louvers fall out all the time. I can't imagine hanging a coffee cup off one.

Wouldn't it be nice if XJs were like jetliners and a mask could drop down and provide us coffee instead of oxygen?

I have the stock over the e-brake handle cup holder and it is ok, but really not the best.

I am considering either using the fold out boat style cup holders that you can mount any where on the door or other verticle surface or getting a couple of cheap bike water bottle holders. Either way they are much less likely to come out of the hoder than the stock unit (particularly off road).

Plus I can put some on the back doors for the kids also.

Michael

You must have something wrong, then. I routinely carry a couple of large coffees in mine.

It is subject to a passenger kick, though.

I have had bad luck with these also. I've read from lots of places that they fall off. Then...mf GF spilled and ornage soda all over her chero when it fell of while driving some day. I would go wityh the over the ebrake one for $15.

I was going to buy the drink holder from 4WD. Then I found a factory over the brake handle type while picking thru a U pull it bone yard. I think it cost me about 3 bucks. It appears to be identical to the one 4wd is hawking with the exception of some power mirror controls. I don't have power mirrors but I might find a use for the switches!

part # 55115020 for the cup houder that hangs off the side.List $9.96
Wayne

wingtime said:
I was going to buy the drink holder from 4WD. Then I found a factory over the brake handle type while picking thru a U pull it bone yard. I think it cost me about 3 bucks. It appears to be identical to the one 4wd is hawking with the exception of some power mirror controls. I don't have power mirrors but I might find a use for the switches!

The over the brake cup holder is not a factory part. Never was. My dealer sells a ton of them, but they are not Mopar. They are all the same -- they come with a knockout for the power mirror switches -- if you have power mirrors you pull the switch module out of the console and relocate it into the knockout in the cup holder.

They work fine, but you do need to keep your rear brakes adjusted.

Back