• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Traditional Paint or Hard Liner?

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
Since warmer weather is around the corner, I'm thinking about painting my XJ. I'm trying to decide: should I go with traditional paint (2 stage) or should I hard line (monsta, raptor, etc)?

What are the pluses and minuses to each? My jeep is more overland than trails, but I do plan to hit my local parks this year.

Thanks!

I just painted my jeep withe the duplicolor autozone special. looks great eay to shoot and the clear seems to be durable. i have pics if needed

Was it spray paint or hardliner? I heard the stuff sold at AZ isn't UV resistant. I'm still no closer to a decision that I was from before, but I'm beginning to lean more toward traditional paint with a heavy coat of clear.

youll need a spray gun i used the 20 dollar job from harbor freight. i also did clear coat on it if it lasts 3-5 years im doing good i think
plus all said i got 150 into it

Gotcha. I have a HVLP and a Shultz Gun already. Since I do offroad (trail) mine, I was leaning toward hardlining the entire thing. But, once it's on...its on. Not to mention that its more expensive. Those are the reasons Im leaning toward the traditional paint job at this point.

i did the sublime green pearl and turned out pretty sweet looking and i beat the piss out of it on the trail most of the time
421504_611852922165089_1389968790_n.jpg

I would go with a traditional autobody paint such as dupont ect. and at multiple layers of clear for wetsanding.

I would go with a traditional autobody paint such as dupont ect. and at multiple layers of clear for wetsanding.

I ultimately think this will be the way to go. Since the prep work will pretty much be the same, it allows me to pick the color I truly want. Im thinking once the clear is done, I may put 3M over the major contact areas to help with the scratches. Ive never used it before, but heard it works fairly well. That way, if I get tired of the paint years down the road, I can change it without the hassle that hard line gives me. I have some monsta just sitting around, so I may do my sliders with it, just to use it up.

Boo clear unless you know how to paint cars and only let the paint tack before you clear but I can't stand that water born crap it always peels off in time.

I've painted a couple of cars with traditional paint and haven't had any issues with clear. I always buy from my local PPG dealer and they've never steered me wrong. The negative to using traditional paint is that clear is $$$ stuff, but it would go farther than hard liner.

Back