• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

older 242 in newer XJ ?

Rmart30

NAXJA Forum User
Excluding the different style rear output styles will a earlier model 242 go into a later model XJ ? as in a 92 242 into a 98

You need to check the spline count and length.

spline and length are the same...... both came from AW4's

Some back ground on why im asking. I sold a 242 to a fellow in another state. he called saying it wouldnt slide all the way up to the trans.
I asked him about input length and he said it was the same as his he pulled out.
He said on the TC he got from me inside of the input shaft at the rear of the splines seems to be a plug or bushing that is stopping shaft from going all the way in.
Well come to find out his is a 98/99 model 242 and the one he got from me is a 93/94.
Since hes so far away and i cant physically look at it to see hopefully someone here knew more about them than me.

"both came from AW4s" is irrelevant - if they both came from AX15s I think it would be relevant but I'm no expert on the model year splits on manual equipment.

If it was a 90-down 242 going into a 91-up vehicle (or vice versa) you would run into a spline count issue. A 93/94 vs a 98/99 should be fine.

EDIT: Just realized you may be playing a game of telephone... maybe he's talking about the slip yoke design of the rear output shaft / rear driveshaft? That changed all sorts of things up (old style 95 and earlier, new style 96 and later) and I learned a week or two ago that a 95-down rear driveshaft is longer (and has a slightly different yoke design) than a 96-up rear driveshaft.

Back