NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 6th, 2018, 17:52
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

I'm hearing a lotnof bad things about auto parts stores over the past couple years. I grew up putting in auto store parts that lasted just as long as factory. Those days are dead and done. I'm not the only one experiencing this. I'm pretty sure they listed a brand new non reman denso on rock auto. This was just the most expensive hearted option so I figured maybe it was better

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old March 6th, 2018, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

New or rebuilt Denso would be my choice Iíve had very good experience with the Denso brand, starters, alternators, ignition coils, radiators, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 6th, 2018, 19:53
NAXJA Member

Re: Alternator help

all reman are crapshoot. You can usually buy a new AC Delco on Amazon for the same price or less.
Old March 7th, 2018, 06:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
all reman are crapshoot. You can usually buy a new AC Delco on Amazon for the same price or less.
The one I linked was an AC Delco. It is listed as new not reman cool I'll order it

Old March 13th, 2018, 09:02
How 'bout it Gonzo

As for the noise, check the belt alignment. There is the possibility that the balancer or another pulley is on its way out and causing alignment issues.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008
Old March 13th, 2018, 09:53
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

Balancer and pulley are new. Dropped that engine in summer 2016. Replaced the alt since it didn't work when wet. The noise turns out to be that fan pulley which is a horrible design. It's pressed... not bolted into the a.c. bracket. If I can find a shop that has a press that will work to get it out ill have them do it because I don't have the right press. Otherwise I guess I'm spending like 300 at the dealer for a new bracket with pulley bearing

Old March 15th, 2018, 22:28
NAXJA Forum User

89 Xj, 4.0
Bought an alternator from DB electrical along with new cables from Paul at jeepcables.com. Set everything up and the Jeep started right up. Drove around for the day and parked over night. Came out the next day and the Jeep was dead. Put the battery on a charger for maybe 15 minutes and had enough juice to start and stayed running. Went to autozone to test the battery they said itís fine but the voltage regulator is bad. I get itís common for remans to come broken every now and then, but why me? 😅
So I guess my question is, has anyone used DB electrical stuff before?
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchXJ89 View Post
89 Xj, 4.0
Bought an alternator from DB electrical along with new cables from Paul at jeepcables.com. Set everything up and the Jeep started right up. Drove around for the day and parked over night. Came out the next day and the Jeep was dead. Put the battery on a charger for maybe 15 minutes and had enough juice to start and stayed running. Went to autozone to test the battery they said itís fine but the voltage regulator is bad. I get itís common for remans to come broken every now and then, but why me? 😅
So I guess my question is, has anyone used DB electrical stuff before?
Haven't used that brand but sounds like it's shorting out some place or has a bad connection

Old March 16th, 2018, 06:19
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

It could be bad, unfortunately rebuilt quality is crap these days. Luckily the Renix alternators are GM internally regulated.
If it tests good outside the Jeep check the plug to the voltage regulator.

Old March 16th, 2018, 10:55
NAXJA Forum User

I donít think thereís a short anywhere. I triple checked all the new cables I installed and put a washer on the alternator so the terminal sits a little prettier. Watching my voltage gauge bounce a bit but never hit 14. DB electrical has good warranty and returns policies but I need to ship the old alternator back for them to fix it. Most likely going to take it to a shop to try to skip the shipping from Washington to Tennessee and back. Thanks guys. Once itís working Iíll let you all know how well it performs since I couldnít find diddly about them in the Jeep Community
Old March 16th, 2018, 10:57
NAXJA Forum User

Alternator help

Did you test the plug for the regulator? Iíve had them need to be cleaned or wiggled to start charging.

Old March 16th, 2018, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Iíll see. I checked the wires again last night except the plug to the alternator and got a more active charge. Not the 14 volts I was looking for. Iíll pick up some electrical cleaner later and report back if thereís any difference.
Old March 17th, 2018, 08:26
NAXJA Forum User

Powermaster, buy it once.
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:02
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchXJ89 View Post
Most likely going to take it to a shop to try to skip the shipping from Washington to Tennessee and back.
I looked up DB electrical, not a bad price before shipping. If there is another automotive supply in Puyallup, have them check it also.

If the problem actually is the voltage regulator, they are easy to replace.
Old March 17th, 2018, 11:28
NAXJA Forum User

Went to a recommended alternator shop and had the shop owner test it for me. Working perfectly fine. So Iíll check the regulator plug. The owner of the shop told me to check the next connection over from the widest blade. Says when the key is on the connector is live.