• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sensor in the back of head? what is it called?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I broke the sensor that goes into the back of the head on my 92 when i was doing an engine swap. what is this sensor called? the coolant temp sensor is the one in the tstat housing,right?thanks,Ben

The one one the back of the head is for your gauge temp. The one in the thermostat housing is for your computer.

so,what do i ask for when i am buyin one at the parts store? I have to have the parts person get both of them and pick the right one,I guess?

cjben said:
so,what do i ask for when i am buyin one at the parts store? I have to have the parts person get both of them and pick the right one,I guess?
Probably the safest bet with most autostore clerks. They do look pretty different and its 1 versus 2 wires.

didn't get back in time to edit my last post. but for search purposes,the correct term for the switch is the temperature switch.

Make sure you also specify whether it's the sender for gauges or the switch for an idiot light. They look the same, but they are not interchangeable. If the parts guy doesn't see the gauge/light option, he's probably looking at the wrong sensor. Make sure when you have the thing in your hand that you look in the box, and make sure it looks like the one you want. The front one has a larger thread, I think.

Back