• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping cam positioning sensor into a dist. motor

Drive the roll pin out of the gear, pull the gear and spacer/washer off. Pull the shaft out of the distributor housing. The cam position sensor then comes out with a screw. Re-assemble in reverse order. As long as it's apart clean the old grease off of the shaft and bushings, inspect it for excessive wear, (which usually there isn't any), and re-grease it before you put it back together.

Remember to take a sharpie and place a mark on the housing right off the end of the rotor (where it's pointing at) before you pull the distributor. Usually when you pull the dist, the oil pump will turn slightly and the dist won't drop back in all the way. You'll have to put a long straight bladed screwdriver down into the oil pump and index it slightly so the end of the dist shaft will line up with the slot in the pump when you have the right tooth engagement on the dist gear.

I think that's what you're asking, unless you're trying to put a distributor in a distributor-less engine.

Last edited:
Tigmeister, I think he is indeed talking about retrofitting an earlier engine into a distributorless Jeep.

I should also mention that your procedure does not apply after '94 or 5 (not sure exactly where the cutoff is). They changed the distributor to put the cam position sensor on a plate that lifts right off without pulling the distro or taking it apart. Huge improvement - the longest part of the procedure is unscrewing the distributor cap.

Do I need to bring motor to tdc beforepulling dist.?

Along with bringing the number one cylinder up on a comperssion stroke, it is the way to go about this. Also, if you overshoot the TDC on the number one cylinder, DO NOT rotate the engine backwards to get it to TDC. Run it all the way around again.

The reason is that there is slop in the timing chain and your engine will wind up out of time.

Back