• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat and A/C problem

FreemansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I tried a search, but didn't find this one so I hope you guys (gals) can help. I have a 99XJ, when you turn on the blower (any level, heat or A/C) it sounds like a flap closes and the air is not getting out. Even on high, it barely puts any heat out the defrost or floor vents, but you can hear the fan blowing hard. If you put it on the dash vents it will blow, even on full...but when you drive, that flap noise happens again and hardly any air comes out. I searched around under the dash, but I can't see where its blocked or what flap is closing it off.

Any help is greatly appreciated so that I can clear my windows from the ice :)

John

FreemansXJ said:
Hello all, I tried a search, but didn't find this one so I hope you guys (gals) can help. I have a 99XJ, when you turn on the blower (any level, heat or A/C) it sounds like a flap closes and the air is not getting out. Even on high, it barely puts any heat out the defrost or floor vents, but you can hear the fan blowing hard. If you put it on the dash vents it will blow, even on full...but when you drive, that flap noise happens again and hardly any air comes out. I searched around under the dash, but I can't see where its blocked or what flap is closing it off.

Any help is greatly appreciated so that I can clear my windows from the ice :)

John

John,

I have no expertise on this issue, but from what I remember, there is a vacuum controlled valve under there somewhere, which controls the heater etc. Maybe this is your problem?

Please take the above with a little salt, as I said, I am not an expert.

Rgds

Best thing to do is start at the vacum canister behind the front bumper(passenger side) and check ALL vacum lines all the way to the fire wall.
There are 1 or 2 that run under the battery tray,so you may have to remove the battery to chl those.Check especially where the lines could be rubbing against the body or any other parts of the engine compartment.Those itty bitty plastic lines get really brittle,and it doesn't take much to break them.
Check the vacum lines coming off the x fer case also.I think this has been mentioned before,but the more vacum leaks,the more crappy the performance of your vehicle.

Back