• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat problem

Cobrajay

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ's heat only works when I hit the gas. So basically, when i'm moving it blows nice heat. At idle its warm and sometimes gets cool. I did a 4.0 sway recently so I could have missed something. Any suggestions

You have a vacuum line unhooked,check to see if the heat is coming out of the de-froster vents.

Wayne

Yea, it comes out of the de-froster and all the other vents however, if I have the vents in front (over the radio) it will work fine but then make a weird noise and nothing will come out. If I switch it off and then back on, it will work and sometimes not work. Weird...

all of the heater controls are vacuum operated. it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

blend door? Air pocket in the coolant is possible. I just put in a new rad, thermostat and hi-flow water pump. How do I bleed it out?

i have the same problem but my temp also goes up to 210 then back to 170ish and then keeps doing that while i drive, could this be caused by a air bubble or any other ideas?

blend door? Air pocket in the coolant is possible. I just put in a new rad, thermostat and hi-flow water pump. How do I bleed it out?

Always post the year/engine of your XJ for most accurate results.

Older XJs were notorious for holding an air pocket after cooling system work, newer ones are generally self bleeding.

i have the same problem but my temp also goes up to 210 then back to 170ish and then keeps doing that while i drive, could this be caused by a air bubble or any other ideas?

Or sticking tstat. Most often this is reported to be fixed by new tstat. Even if the offender is a new tstat. Try Stant Premium version.

It certainly could be an air bubble. However, it may be something simpler. It may just be the really cold weather. Here's my theory based on personal experience/observation. When a really cold engine is getting warmed up the antifreeze will get up to temp, the t-stat will open, and the super cold antifreeze in the radiator will dump into the engine causing the t-stat to close again. This can cause fluctuations in the temp readings until the engine & radiator are fully up to temp. In really cold weather like we're having right now this cycle may continue for a long time.
just my .o2, DougN

Last edited:
Back