• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Did you have a spare driveshaft laying around or did you swap front to back or something?

Yeah. I have 3 driveshafts total. The one installed in the jeep at the moment is a stock ZJ one I picked up from someone a while back. Haven't even replaced the ujoints on it yet. The other two were from an XJ and had them rebuilt.

I have vibes at high speed. I figured it was my gear setup but now I’m thinking it may be my Tom Woods driveshaft. I’ll have to figure out a way to isolate that.

I have vibes at high speed. I figured it was my gear setup but now I’m thinking it may be my Tom Woods driveshaft. I’ll have to figure out a way to isolate that.
Tell her to slow down!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So I replaced my TCM and finally got a chance to go for a test drive.

Drove about 25 miles and then turned back around. So right as I was maybe a few miles from my house, while in D, I went to hit the throttle to go and the tranny acted like it was in neutral. Manually put it in 3 and that worked fine. I slowed down due to traffic; put it back in D and then took off like normal. But everytime I got to a consistant speed, it would then act like I was in neutral. But once I slowed down and then took off again, the tranny would act fine in D. Then it would do it all over again...

So bummed, really thought I had fixed my tranny issues. On a plus, there is still no CEL. So I may try and go and get it inspected tomorrow and see if that will work...

So I replaced my TCM and finally got a chance to go for a test drive.

Drove about 25 miles and then turned back around. So right as I was maybe a few miles from my house, while in D, I went to hit the throttle to go and the tranny acted like it was in neutral. Manually put it in 3 and that worked fine. I slowed down due to traffic; put it back in D and then took off like normal. But everytime I got to a consistant speed, it would then act like I was in neutral. But once I slowed down and then took off again, the tranny would act fine in D. Then it would do it all over again...

So bummed, really thought I had fixed my tranny issues. On a plus, there is still no CEL. So I may try and go and get it inspected tomorrow and see if that will work...

Bummer. Sounds like its slipping. Transmission fluid is good?

Bummer. Sounds like its slipping. Transmission fluid is good?

yeah fluid level good, doesn't smell burnt.

The tranny shop told me that when the coolant mixed with the tranny fluid, depending on how long they were together, the clutch packs get eaten from the coolant and can cause tranny problems...

Oh and a rebuild on a AW4 is like $2500-$3k...

So If I do need to change it I am going to buy one from a junkyard...already have a junk yard motor from a ZJ in there now lol

Trimmed the fenders

Now to diagnose and fix another new noise! Believe its a u joint in one of the front axle shafts.

20201017_163027.jpg 20201017_162812.jpg

I tightened the tranny pan bolts after putting in a new cork filter about 6 weeks ago. Second (and final) tighten down. No leaks but some of them needed about 1/4 turn, nice and gently.

yeah fluid level good, doesn't smell burnt.

The tranny shop told me that when the coolant mixed with the tranny fluid, depending on how long they were together, the clutch packs get eaten from the coolant and can cause tranny problems...

How do your transmission lines going to the radiator look? Ive pinched a couple with the upper control arm.

How do your transmission lines going to the radiator look? Ive pinched a couple with the upper control arm.

tranny lines are good. I haven't had a chance to really look much more into it as I have a cert test coming up this friday. GCIH(SANS) I've failed it twice already and it's $800 each time I take the test. Work payed for the first time and I have paid for that next two. This is my last chance to take it...

tranny lines are good. I haven't had a chance to really look much more into it as I have a cert test coming up this friday. GCIH(SANS) I've failed it twice already and it's $800 each time I take the test. Work payed for the first time and I have paid for that next two. This is my last chance to take it...

Damn. I've got my GSEC cert renewal exam next week... May get an extension.

yeah these are only good for like 3 years. I probably should have done the GSEC first.

The material isn't hard or difficult it's the test that asks you a question and I'm like...I've never remembered going over this.

but anyways I'll see how it goes Friday...I'm used to disappointment at this point lol

Wow, that is nuts. Back in the day we went to the school of hard Knox. Self certified hackers anonymous LOL

I go so far back I still have the old WW II Army Air corp ham radio stuff LOLOL.

And my Dads 1966 Telematic he patented and invented. He read and wrote programs with Assembly language code.....

$800 is nuts. I can buy a Renix jeep for that much. LOL

Wow, that is nuts. Back in the day we went to the school of hard Knox. Self certified hackers anonymous LOL

I go so far back I still have the old WW II Army Air corp ham radio stuff LOLOL.

And my Dads 1966 Telematic he patented and invented. He read and wrote programs with Assembly language code.....

$800 is nuts. I can buy a Renix jeep for that much. LOL

haha yeah I had to pay the $800 twice.

But good news, I passed!

now to get the jeep working again. Driving in D and at a steady pace, it then acted like it jumped into neutral. Had to slow down for traffic, and shifted it back to D(had shifted it to 3rd so that I could keep going) and it shifted fine in D until I started to go a steady speed and then again, it acted like it was in neutral again. So I then manually shifted it to get home, like another 2 mins of driving. Weird, it was acting fine for like the 30 min trip.

I bought a transmission from a guy but I dont really trust it. May see about getting one from a junkyard. Mines a 97 so it has to be another 97 aw4...

Trying to wrap up my Moab prep.

Almost done with the cargo rack. Should be done with fabbing tonight, painted tomorrow.

I leave Saturday. Talk about cutting it close.

Back