• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door hinge bolts

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
waht do most of yall use to remove? my hex head sockets are to long to get to the rear 2. any help would be appricated. imtires of having to spend all day with a allan :explosion

I just removed the pin on the door catch aasy. and it gave me enough room to get them out. Be careful not push the door open so far that you that you do hinge damage.

To get to the inside two bolts on the front doors pull the wheel well liner out of the way and with a couple of good length extensions you can get the torx head in the two holes in the body side of hinge to get them out. For the rear doors just open the front's and the holes are right there. Dizzymac is talking about removing the pin on the door catch mechanism on the front doors that would allow it to swing out a little more.

CrunchnMunch said:
Dizzymac how did you get your doors off by the pins?
No, what he did was to remove the little pin on the door check, so that the door opens just a little wider. It gives more clearance for the wrench, and if you're lucky you'll just be able to sneak it in then.

I used a flex head gearwrench with the adapter from a gear wrench kit that I found at NAPA. There is an adapter that fits inside a 1/2" wrench. The adapter holds the torx bit. I used the flex head one that I already had to keep from beating up my knuckles.

Only problem was I did not come up with this solution until I had 8 or 9 of the 12 bolts out. I won't even try to explain what I had to do to get those first ones out.

woops thought you meant th back doors. i used a bit for a screw driver and a ratchet wrench

Back