• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3550 5-speed manual transmission

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a NV3550 5-speed manual transmission located in Connecticut that was recently pulled from my girlfriend's Wrangler. It has 55,000 miles and was replaced with a new transmission because it has the following faults:-

1. Suspected that Jeep dealer used wrong oil when serviced at around 20,000 miles. Was driven for one week before having another transmission oil change at another dealership.

2. From 30,000 miles (and out of warranty) the transmission developed slight difficulty shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold. Not a problem if you know how to double declutch.

3. From 40,000 miles the transmission would sometimes pop out of 2nd gear when transfercase is in low ratio.

This transmission could be used as-is if you are happy to accept these faults, my girlfriend wasn't but it didn't bother me that much on the street and wasn't noticeable to all drivers. Don't underestimate point 3, particularly on offroad hill climbs.

Use this transmission as a core exchange, a starting point for a rebuild, or as-is if you accept these faults.

No reasonable offer refused. Freight guessed at approx $165 for lower 48.

Back