• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper/Receiver build and SFR shackles boxes

Well I've got to finish the bumper first because I have a camping trip with the new trailer coming up! All I have have to do then is .........

re-install a brake controller
install a new trailer light adapter
see if a 9" equalizer hitch drop bar even comes close
check the weight loading - dry it's #4500 and #500 TW
pick-up some towing mirrors

I did cut out the shackle tabs tonight, will drill and grind them tomorrow.
P1080961.JPG

Ohhh damn those are beef.

Trailer is to heavy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The tow rating on a stock XJ is #5000 and on a WJ is #6000, I exceed all those parametetrs.

They may look big in the picture but they are only made from 3/4" x 2" cold rolled/precision ground steel. I finished prepping them up today and will tack them on tomorrow and finish welding them at my son's work (300A machine). You cannot make recovery points to strong!
P1080962.JPG

I don't care what xj zj or what any current small suv on the market is rated at. In my opinion 4k behind it is to much to safely handle
Thats just me though being judgemental as I see all these little rigs all barred up swaying down the freeway

It's irrelevant now as even with a 9" drop I'm still 5" short !!! Curt and Reese only sell a max 12" drop but that still puts me short and has way to much leverage on things!

I don't care what xj zj or what any current small suv on the market is rated at. In my opinion 4k behind it is to much to safely handle
Thats just me though being judgemental as I see all these little rigs all barred up swaying down the freeway

+1

Those ratings might be suitable for moving something around on surface streets, but once you are looking at freeway speeds there is a necessary margin to keep the pucker factor down.

And if you are lifted to the point that the average drop hitch won't work you really do need to be asking yourself about the reasonableness of the situation. I get that the hitch has been raised relative to the standard receiver mount, but even running a 12" drop with a relatively narrow axle width vehicle would worry me. I have been through winds that have made me worry while towing with my dually. Some risks aren't worth it. There are other people on the road too.

You got to know all of your capabilities/limits and still drive responsibly. My friend just lost his brand new F-250 Super Diesel and 32' trailer because he tried to drive thru a wind storm in Wyoming, oops !!!

I think your mig machine is somewhere in the 180-200amp. Should be plenty to glue those recovery points on

I think your mig machine is somewhere in the 180-200amp. Should be plenty to glue those recovery points on

Not where there is possibly "lives" involved, might even be yours one day.

Surface mounted in shear, that's why they are wide and long and deserve the best weld.

Mark pm'ed me last night on what I was doing with my skid plate(factory). I had it in hand and looked at modding it to fit separate from anything else like my SFR brackets and exhaust hanger. Easy the back 3 holes are just a spacer for a hitch, cut those off and clean the whole thing up.
Before:
P1080963.JPG

P1080964.JPG

After 15 min with the plasma:
P1080965.JPG

P1080966.JPG

Well I've got 3 bitches, all rescue dogs. That one is a pit mix, a staffordshire terrier, and either a min-pin or chihuahua mix!

Mark pm'ed me last night on what I was doing with my skid plate(factory). I had it in hand and looked at modding it to fit separate from anything else like my SFR brackets and exhaust hanger. Easy the back 3 holes are just a spacer for a hitch, cut those off and clean the whole thing up.

I spoke and acted to hastily, the skid still uses the most forward bolt on SFR brackets. I will pause a little and take my time on the new fix!

Bumper portion is done. I got the lift strut in and it extends and holds on a angle. I got the shackle mounts welded in to, now I need to relocate my license plate light.
P1080967.JPG

P1080968.JPG

P1080969.JPG

P1080970.JPG

Only one question that bumper.

Did you make one for me? ;) I totally want that.

Only one question that bumper.

Did you make one for me? ;) I totally want that.

Cal, I wished I could but....... it took a month for mine because a guy with only one hand doesn't work very fast! Grinding is the most unsafe for me, the rest I can take it slow and easy.

I would totally come grind for a long weekend, if for no other reason than the opportunity to drink a cold one with you at the end of the day.

Remind you to look you up next time I'm in Phoenix.

Back