• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case questions

Oh. I see now. one has the pins. the other does not.
Guess another tool to add to the box.
thanks for the heads up.

I know someone also mentioned punches. I have a simple set. anything special needed there ?

Oh. I see now. one has the pins. the other does not.
Guess another tool to add to the box.
thanks for the heads up.

I know someone also mentioned punches. I have a simple set. anything special needed there ?

Nothing special regarding the punches. Just one smaller than the pin to push it out and one larger than it to push it back in. Sometimes you get lucky and you can bend the shifter pawl out of the way. Was able to on one of my 242s, had to remove the pin on the other.

Nothing special regarding the punches. Just one smaller than the pin to push it out and one larger than it to push it back in. Sometimes you get lucky and you can bend the shifter pawl out of the way. Was able to on one of my 242s, had to remove the pin on the other.

I have watched a few youtube videos and I know what you are talking about bending it..
the rebuild seems like 5/10 on terms of difficulty it appears
certainly not a transmission or engine level project.
I will post pics of this nightmare when I do it.
until then awaiting parts and hoping she doesn't blow up driving to work and back for the next week

Only other PITA is the blind needle bearing on the backside of the front output shaft. In both cases, I was rebuilding "while I'm here" doing a SYE install so it didn't make me cringe too much to not replace them.

I brute forced mine out. Couldn't find a puller that worked at the local parts store so I used a flat head as a chisel (yeah yeah I know) and drove it between the case and bearing outer race (after busting the inner race and rollers out) and bent the outer race in till it fell out. Then drove new one in. Was a little risky but my case/chain was worn to the point that the chain was jumping teeth on the sprockets when in 4low.

I finally got this $@(%@(% out.
that one side bolt was the worst. by the exhaust.
otherwise I got lots of cleaning to do. then going to open her up.
seems a little silly to clean it before opening. but no chunks in the fluid I drained. so Hoping the chain is just loose.

Take it to the car wash and power wash it off. Certainly a good idea to clean exterior before stripping it down. Keeps unnecessary dirt out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Take it to the car wash and power wash it off. Certainly a good idea to clean exterior before stripping it down. Keeps unnecessary dirt out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
good idea but.
Good @$@**ing luck. no chance of that for me.
This is 30 years of Axle Grease,Transmission fluid, motor oil and dirt.
when the shop cleaned the block it took 6 days in the hot tank.

This stuff is not coming off with a pressure washer at any pay and spray. Trust me I have already tried.

This is Spray with simple green and a screwdriver/rag combo. to take it off.
enjoy pics.
it certainly does not do the disgusting justice...

IA7uf

IAnbH

IA3Pd

oh.
Also.
Bad bad bad news.
someone has been in here before. Note the black silicone in the pictures ....
Crosses fingers...

It would be the opportune time to get a SYE installed!

im about 9 hours worth of scrubbing this transfer case. and we are 60%~ clean.
the fluid smells really burned. and there is barely any in there. but no metal flakes. so im hoping the shafts are good and just the chain stretched.
Not opening it until I ensure I dont spew nast onto the inside.

oh.
Also.
Bad bad bad news.
someone has been in here before. Note the black silicone in the pictures ....
Crosses fingers...

I've got a 1992 242J on the bench waiting to be rebuilt that has exact same black permatex. Google images also show a lot of pictures with black sealer. It's a junkyard pull so I can't be sure, but I suspect it's never been rebuilt and it came from the factory that way.

I've got a 1992 242J on the bench waiting to be rebuilt that has exact same black permatex. Google images also show a lot of pictures with black sealer. It's a junkyard pull so I can't be sure, but I suspect it's never been rebuilt and it came from the factory that way.

interesting.
thanks for the info.
just so much over the edge I couldn't believe factory did that bad a job lol

Back