• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Bushings for Lifted XJ Jeep

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
For my 1990 XJ with 5.5 inch Rubicon Express Lift Kit Leaf Springs, so quiet ride and low noise are not a priority,rather utility, reliability offroad are prime concern... The rubber leaf spring bushings are shot in the rear of the springs. They are probably near 20 years old from prior owner!

Anyway...

Urethane or Rubber bushings, pros and cons? Which brands to avoid, which are good?
Recommendations please!

thanks!

p.s. We ( Good Cherokee buddy and me) just put on the Ironman brand adjustable shackles, already had their adjustable relocator installed. These are killer, hugemungo threaded shank, lots of adjustment range, looks to be very well built. Now my angle is correct, and I got an additional couple inch lift. Jeep was low in back before, and angle was too vertical. Rides over bumps MUCH smoother now that the angle of the shackle is set correct like! I am stoked!

Clevite is suppose to be the best. I could not find them for the leaf springs. I did get some MOPAR, $$$. They are suppose to be Clevite.

These guys are suppose to be good:
https://www.stengelbros.net/INDEX.HTML

I haven't run polyurethane ones. They are suppose to be a bit harsh.

It is fun installing the rubber types. I used an mid sized arbor press on a set of OME springs. Worked good. You have to get the bushings perpendicular, and they go right in. Otherwise, not. I got the small ones in on a set of stock aftermarket springs. The small end went easy. Couldn't get the large ones in. I will try a ball joint press.

I use the Stengel clevite-style bushings on my RE leafs. I don't have the sizes on hand but if you google search site:naxja.org you will find them

I don't run any poly anywhere. I don't like loose spinning bushings for the noise and vibes.

Has anyone ever tried the synergy dual durometer bushings in a set of leaf springs? They're a nifty design that I may end up trying when I find the time. Another option to the bonded clevite we all know and trust. The dual durometer may help the leaf last longer due to reduced sideways binding?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am running rubber bushings on my 89 XJ with 2.5 inches of lift. The reason why I went with rubber is the original ones lasted 170,000 miles and they made for a soft ride. I don’t think the polyurethane ones are worth it for longevity, when they also bring harsher ride and sometimes squeaks. I got new rubber ones from Moog ones from Rockauto. They look nice, and still look new after a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pressed the OE style rubber into my OME leafs. No regrets.

I think mine were Moog.

I think the only reason not to use the OE style is if you absolutely cannot access a press. Before I owned a press I would simply take my parts to an alignment shop and pay them to press them together for me. It was never a problem.

I also use Moog oem type replacements, I have a porta-power set up that allows me to press out old and press in new without removing the leaf assembly.

With 3.5" lift and layed down shackles they do wear out faster than a stock set due to all the extra torsional work they see.

I also use Moog oem type replacements, I have a porta-power set up that allows me to press out old and press in new without removing the leaf assembly.

With 3.5" lift and layed down shackles they do wear out faster than a stock set due to all the extra torsional work they see.
This reasoning is why I mentioned the synergy dual durometer. Again this is only theory...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I replaced mine with OEM style rubber bushings. I think they were Moog brand.

Pro-tip: place the bushings in the freezer for a night before installing them. This will shrink them enough to allow you to press them in with a bench vise.

Also, don't make the same mistake I did by installing the new bushings and setting the vehicle back down on its own weight without torquing the bolts immediately after. When I did this the first time, years ago, I left the Jeep sitting for about 2 days on its own weight without properly torquing the bolts to squeeze the bushings. This resulted in the bushings cracking under the bolts before I had put any miles on them. Had to replace the bushings again a year or two after that.

I have measured my rear axle tube diameter, 3.0 inches, it is a Ford nine inch axle. The U bolts I removed have a 3.25 inch diameter round end. Is this set up right, that the U bolt diameter is a very loose fit over the axle tube diameter?

The thread size is 1/2 inch.

Ok, so I want to get a fatter 9/16 inch thread U bolt. What should I get?

Do I buy them oversized in the U bolt bend diameter, i.e. 3.25 inch U Bolt dia. for my 3.0 dia.Ford axle tube? Or do I buy a exact tight fit 3 inch dia. U Bolt for my Ford 3 inch dia.axle tube?

Leaf springs are new to me, sorry for the questions. I have know idea what is correct or not on my Jeep. Should the U bolts be a bit oversized to the axle diameter?

Thanks!

Preferably 3" u-bolts, I always have mine made to my specs at the leaf spring shop.

The U-bolts should not be a loose fit over the axle. If anything they should be slightly tight.

Ok, I got the parts ordered Stengel Bros is the seller. I will be getting 5/8 dia U Bolts, as my U bolt top plate has 5/8 holes. they were very helpful in answering my questions. for my 3 inch diameter axle, they recommend the 3 1/16 inch U bolt size. They recommend that 1/16 inch clearance. They also have the center pins and disc inserts needed.

link...
http://www.stengelbros.com/u-bolts/

Back