• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

original wireing on radio?

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
ok so someone stole the radio out of my 1984 jeep xj. i have a radio to replace it. i just unsure of what all the wires are that were cut to steal the radio. i have identified the speaker wires for sure. i have also found the attenna cable. now there are a set of wires one is black w/red strip. the other all red. i am thinking that is the power and ground. now i see two clips that have been undone. one has a blue and red wire in it and one has a orange purple and black wire in it ( black in the center). i also found one wire that is just red but someone attached a yellow wire to it.

Looking at the radio that i want to put in. i have 4 sets of speaker wires. a black, red and yellow wire. then one wire lableled amp and one label power ant.

so if i am corrrect about the speaker wires and the power and ground. i can assume the red wire with the yellow that was once attached will attach to the yellow wire on my new radio then what are the other two sets.
the blue/red clip wires and what are the orange/black/purple clip wires.

ok i found out something but it leads to another question now.
the black and red set of wires that i mentioned above may not be what i think it is. the red wire i followed back and it is connected to a thick brown wire under the dash via t connector. the black wire isnt connected to anything.

any idea what this is

found these funny thing is i think i have the 85 wiring i guess mine might of been built later on in the build.

1984 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/White
Switched 12V+ Purple/White
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer Orange/Black
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Gray
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Yellow
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Gray/White
Left Rear (-) Brown
Right Rear (+) White/Black
Right Rear (-) Brown/White

1985-87 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/White
Switched 12V+ Purple/Orange
Ground Black
Dimmer Orange/Black
Antenna Trigger Gray
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Black/White
Right Front (+) White
Right Front (-) Black
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Green/White
Left Rear (-) Brown/White
Right Rear (-) Brown

1988-90 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Pink
Switched 12V+ Purple/Orange
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/Black
Dimmer Dark Blue/White
Antenna Trigger Gray
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Black/Yellow
Right Front (+) White
Right Front (-) Black
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Gray/White
Right Rear (-) Brown

1991-92 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/White
Ground Black
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer Red/Black
Antenna Trigger Purple/Orange
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Gray
Left Front (-) Yellow
Right Front (+) White/Red
Right Front (-) Brown/Red
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Gray/White
Right Rear (-) Brown

1993-94 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Pink
Ground Black
Illumination Light Blue/Red
Dimmer Orange
Antenna Trigger Purple/Orange
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

1995-96 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Pink
Ground Black
Illumination Light Blue/Red
Dimmer Orange
Front Speakers
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Rear Speakers

1997-01 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Pink/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/Brown
Dimmer Black/Light Blue
Front Speakers
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Rear Speakers

Last edited:
ok i figured it out all my self.

most aftermarket radios will have
a black wire-ground
a red wire-12v switched power (accessory power)
yellow wire-12v constant power
blue-ant wire
blue/white-amp remote power

4 sets of speaker wires
white and white/black-front left
grey and grey/black-front right
green and green/black-front left
purple and purple/black-front right

red and white audio outputs- amp

my red wire that is connect to a brown wire under my dash is my switched power.
the black wire attached to that same red wire is my ground.

my red wire with the yellow wire attached it my constant 12v power.

so i am good now

hopefully all this will help other people

Where did you get the connectors? I would think the easiest thing to do would have been to get connectors from a junk yard and just match up the wires.

Of course, different m/y may have different color wiring, so this may be some good help.

not sure what connectors you are talking about. the one on the radio is the harnesss that comes with it. everythign else was stock on the vehicle except the one red wire that was connected to the one brown wire under the dash that is my switched 12v power.

Ok, I think I understand now.

Your radio was stolen, the stock connectors were cut off the wire harness and stayed with the radio that was stolen.

You bought an AFTERMARKET radio and spliced the aftermarket radio harness directly to the cut-off stock wires.

I was thinking you got another stock radio and were splicing replacement stock connectors on your cut-off wires.

In your case, I can see how that would be the easiest way, but just for info for others installing AFTERMARKET Radios;

The wiring/connector kits they sell at the electronic store with the radios, are well worth the $10-$20 they charge. These are adapter connectors, that you splice directly to the Aftermarket Radio Harness, then just plug into the stock radio connector. You do all the hard splicing on a table out of the vehicle, then just snap together the connectors on install. Plus the instructions for the adapters have the "Pin-Outs" for the connectors, don't have to worry about wire color, just make sure the wire to the particular pin is connected the correct wire in the aftermarket harness.

Plus, if you ever want to take the radio out and put a stock back in, or another Aftermarket Radio, its so much easier to do with the stock connectors intact and just using an adapter.

so i thought i had it all figured out. i get it all hooked up the radio turns on but no sound. it scans and finds radio stations. it will play the cd but no sound for any of it. now i got to figure out what are the real speaker wires.

i hope no one gets there stereo stolen it is a pain.

There are several wire harness's that connect together between the radio and speakers. I can tell you from experience, the wire at the speaker will NOT be the same color as the wire at the connector.

Walmart sells Multi-Meters for as little as $15-$20. Now is the time to add this great tool to your tool box. Hook one end to the connector on a speaker and then check each wire end until you get no resistance. Of course you have to pull the covers over the speakers. Door trim is easy to pull. The cover on the liftgate is hard to pull and you're likely to break it when you pull it.

The only other test I can think of, is too connect a signal source to each wire hoping it comes out of the speaker. Be aware that a speaker works with the polarity reversed, but it won't sound as good, so if your NOT sure which wire is ground, reverse them and see which sounds better.

This is why I just fork out to a professional installer and let him deal with the headaches. typical install is usually around $100, and I save myself 3 hours of frustration that leads to a less than perfect install, and possibly no sound.

i have multi meter that was my next step.
i also thought of using a small battery to see if the speaker moves. i think this is what was being said about a speaker sounding better when the polarity is correct.

might do the batter thing first my leads arent long enough on the multi meter.

Back