• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moonshiner's Swap Meet, What'd You Get?

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had basically no "must-have" list this year. The last couple of years I'd dumped $500 minimum, stocking up on stuff I needed to get the XJ built up. This year, I had the luxury of just wandering the aisles checking out piles of random greasy parts and rigs from ghetto-fab to big dollaz bling. I ended up spending maybe $60-$70 on random small things, including:

Combination wrenches in various metric sizes, primarily 16mm-20mm. Wrenching on the XJ revealed a need to upgrade my available wrench sizes. Several dudes had bins of various combo wrenches, usually $1 or $2 each. Great way to complete a size assortment for cheap.

Metric 3/8" drive impact sockets, picked up a set of deep wells, 10mm-22mm for $12. Also grabbed a couple adjustable wrenches, a 8" and a 10", $1 and $3 each. The swap meet is really a great place to pick up random tools, as long as you look around a bit and don't just buy at the first table you come across. One dude had combo wrench sets and socket sets for $80-$120. Holy crap, Batman! If I want to pay big bucks, I'll just order direct or go to a tool store.

Grabbed a bungee cord multi-pack, $5. You can never have enough bungee cords, they're good for all kinds of random tie-down duties. I didn't see as many vendors with them this year, but came across the right guy after roaming the aisles for awhile.

My ridiculous purchase this year: A chrome "Ooga-horn". :D This guy had three of them at his table, simple two-wire hookup, $20. Since my compressing front suspension had the tire rip one off ont he trail at Walker a few weeks ago, I needed a new horn. I hit it a couple days ago as some arsehole cut me off, one horn sounds weak. This thing claims 110 decibels, I'll find out after I hook it up sometime this week.

I picked up a couple other random small items, I'll have to look in my grab bag to remember what they all were, and why I thought I needed them.

How'd you all do?

I scored BIG!!!got dana 44 true-track no drums $100 got the drums $20 shocks mildly used $5 2 2door doors $20 spring perches $20.A dana 44 in my jeep priceless.

JACK

ps.I know were a d44 complete, trac-lock 3.55 direct bolt on for cherokee is $600 firm.NOT MINE.

Nice. I didn't see and XJ D44's, but I wasn't looking either. I have noticed the last couple of years and this year in particular, this swap meet is getting HUGE! There were many more vendors and private booths, in particular outside of the buildings. Glad to see this sport is getting so popular around here, it can only help our cause in the long run.

i was disapointed, i didnt find much when i was there, i got some gay flares that i thought would look cool but they dont, a compressor for my oba and a cd player.

I didn't know what I was looking at I wish i had gone with someone that knew a thing or two. I did get some things but not the major things I wanted.

but at the same time i still have a lot of work to do on my build.

There were no "must have" items on my list, only a few "would like" to have things. I picked up an air tank for $5.00 and then a guy offered me $15 on the way out. Sold!
Most of the other things I wanted were semi-complete rigs and that wasn't an option. It was good to talk to you again John, I know you were busy so I didn't want to take up too much of your time and my daughter really wanted to sit in your Jeep. She later asked why my Jeep didn't look that cool. :dunno:

I told her she was adopted and made her walk home.

Avanteone said:
Doug, how come you didn't stop by and say HI? (Or did you and I just don't remember since I probably talked to 500 people) hahahaha

John
Were you there at the Crawl booth/display? I was looking for an ACR sign, didn't see one. You might have been off at the restroom or lunch break or something, you weren't at the Crawl booth when I stopped by. I only stayed there a couple of minutes, gawked at the YJ (looked very nice) and gawked/cried and the Jeepster. While it's cool to see them built up for the trail, something just dies inside me a little bit when I see a cool old collectible Jeep built/thrashed for trail duty.

fubar XJ said:
Were you there at the Crawl booth/display? I was looking for an ACR sign, didn't see one. You might have been off at the restroom or lunch break or something, you weren't at the Crawl booth when I stopped by. I only stayed there a couple of minutes, gawked at the YJ (looked very nice) and gawked/cried and the Jeepster. While it's cool to see them built up for the trail, something just dies inside me a little bit when I see a cool old collectible Jeep built/thrashed for trail duty.

I was /w the CRAWL guys, our PNWJeep banners and my ACR banner were hainging further back. I only broke away very briefly a couple of times, but I must have just missed you.

And while I can see where you're coming from as far as cutting up a classic, there is very very little on that Jeepster that is really Jeepster. It's full tube chassis, mostly custom body panels, etc.

John

J

2KXJmakinwaves said:
There were no "must have" items on my list, only a few "would like" to have things. I picked up an air tank for $5.00 and then a guy offered me $15 on the way out. Sold!
Most of the other things I wanted were semi-complete rigs and that wasn't an option. It was good to talk to you again John, I know you were busy so I didn't want to take up too much of your time and my daughter really wanted to sit in your Jeep. She later asked why my Jeep didn't look that cool. :dunno:

I told her she was adopted and made her walk home.

haha thanks Rich.

-Alex

LOL
Punk kid.
3 girls and they are all like me. That's not good.

two years in a row the swap meet has been on a weekend I'm busy with other things. :tears:

I got:
Genuine Gear 4.56 Dana 44 gears
Genuine Gear dana 44 master install kit
Genuine Gear 4.56 Dana 30 gears
Genuine Gear dana 30 master install kit
Dana 30 3.93+ carrier
Hi-lift Extreme 48" jack
48" Firestick 2, install stuff, and nicknacks
Stickers, stickers and more stickers

Got an Esab Handy plasma 550 for 2 c-notes on the way in Sat; It looked new,and I knew the guy selling it-didn't even haggle at price!! I've been looking for one along time...played with it last night, Works Awesome!!!!

Picked up a set of Chevy leaf spring bushings and a set of 8.8 axle shafts. Really wanted to find some MJ tail lights, but I knew that would be a long shot.

Willy

Back