• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 xj

tronngfd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all....I have a question. I have a 1990 xj. My daily driver. Recently sometimes when I go to start it sometimes it acts like it gets no power. I attached a pic of the fuses under the hood thats giving me the problem. /home/tronn/Downloads/IMG_20200723_085708.jpg.somttimes I just jiggle them , or take them out and put back in and she starts right up. what is the thing with the 4 big black fuses? should I just change out those fuses or replact the unit they go in ? thanks in advance for any advice.

You'll have to re-try inserting your photo. However, on a '90, there are no "fuses" under the hood inside the engine bay- only fusible links. Describe what you're seeing and where.

ok...on the passenger side there are 4 big black square looks like fuses just in front of the coolant tank. they could be fusable links but they look like fuses to me. [email protected] is my email. I can show you a pic of what I mean then. thanks.

I believe what you're seeing are relays- they sit in a straight line next to one another, and adjacent to two yellow diagnostic ports that face upward... presuming you have a 6cyl.

They are for the following functions: fuel pump, battery positive latch, oxygen sensor heater and a/c clutch.

Try this. Remove each relay and discard if the pins are not in great condition. You can replace them with an aftermarket relay of the same style very inexpensively. Using a VERY thin and narrow strip of hard material, cut and bend a piece of 2000-grit paper so as to create an ignition file tool. Clean the contacts of each female slot of the fuse holder. Using an oxide inhibiter, lightly coat the new blades of each relay and install them.

ok...on the passenger side there are 4 big black square looks like fuses just in front of the coolant tank. they could be fusable links but they look like fuses to me. [email protected] is my email. I can show you a pic of what I mean then. thanks.

Picture posted on behalf of tronngfd.

IMG_20200723_085708_zpsrzznaa1h.jpg.html

Picture posted on behalf of tronngfd.

IMG_20200723_085708_zpsrzznaa1h.jpg.html

This is irritating... apparently you can't upload pictures to NAXJA, you have to host them somewhere and link to your hosted picture. I haven't used Photobucket in years and the link I uploaded to it of your picture won't display on here.

Anyhow, those are, in deed, the relays I mentioned above. They also appear to be the original ones in the image you sent me. Follow my suggestion above and I think this will solve your problem.

Back