• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question, discussion, debate.

kayle666

NAXJA Forum User
So i saw an expo rig today that was pretty well built. Good tires ample storage recovery equipment, and an interesting yet suitable platform.

Then I noticed that it was only two wheel drive... and my immediate reaction was well it's not an expo Rig. But as I continued to look at it every other aspect seemed correct. And that got me thinking. Do you have to be four by four to be an expo rig? Would it be clean a quip and or set up to buy for work just as well? After all isn't the point of Expo to explore?

Part of me thinks that it is in fact and export Rig, the other part of me thinks that it has to be four by four to be an explorer Rig. So at this point I am undecided.

The vehicle in question was a newer model Ford Ranger with a shell and a rack on top of the shell. Aftermarket front bumper recovery points on back. Hi lift spare tire in basket on roof.

Discuss

Waste of time and money. I went through this 25 years ago when all I could afford was a 2wd Ranger. I could tiptoe around the desert for miles, but trail rides came to an end as soon as we found that one obstacle I couldn't get over, and even scenic yuppie, uh 'expo', grade trails had that ONE difficult spot that would derail the whole trip. Mix in some rain and it was instant disaster. I was 'that guy'.

The reason I bought a Cherokee was to replace a 2wd Nissan. I took that truck a lot of places but was afraid to push it to much, especially when I was out exploring by myself.

Funny.

I ran all last year with my front driveshaft removed.

To each his own. Would I build one that way? No. Would I suggest it to anyone? No. Would I tell someone he was stupid for doing it? No.

I guess it depends on what they really do with it. Maybe it was more for the look of an expo rig. Maybe the go camping but stay on paved roads. Maybe it was so cheap that they decided they would swap in 4wd as soon as they could.

I personally would have to have a 4wd. Wouldn't want on without. Even if I went a whole year without engaging 4wd, at least the option would be there.

Did Lewis and Clark set out on theiir journey without firearms?

One could argue that bows and arrows would have been sufficient.

IMHO: When heading into the unknown, the more options the better.

It all depends on where you are going. I grew up in Colorado on a ranch in the mountains and "wheeled" a 2wd Ford Pickup all over hell and back. I took my Chevy Van on stuff you wouldn't believe. That is where you really learn about picking lines and conservation of momentum. I switched over to 4wd many decades ago and it seems like cheating.

Most expedition stuff I hear about seems like it could be run with an experienced driver in 2wd. Heck, I drove back out Poison Spider with front wheel drive only.

I figure with a locker in the back, a winch, and a smart skilled driver you could probably make it work pretty well.

Why, though? 4x4 is not a rare option these days.

I made it up a long slick snowy hill a couple years ago leaving my local club's christmas party in a 2wd open diff MJ with mismatched bald stock size street tires on it, but it involved a running start, weight in the bed, and bouncing off the rev limiter for several minutes straight while I giant slalomed up the hill in slow motion. The first chance I got, that MJ got 4x4 converted.

I drove a 2wd Ranger for a couple years. Got one small snow. I couldn't get out of my driveway. I sold it the following month and haven't bought anything without 4wd since.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

An aspect not mentioned yet, is the low gear of the transfer case. I wish I had a 2wd lo option on my 241OR. I would use 4lo very infrequently with a working locker in the rear, particularly where I intend to pull the M416.

An aspect not mentioned yet, is the low gear of the transfer case. I wish I had a 2wd lo option on my 241OR. I would use 4lo very infrequently with a working locker in the rear, particularly where I intend to pull the M416.

2-low kit or manual locking hubs would solve that issue wouldn't it.

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

yup. if you are on a expo type trail youve been on a bunch of times and know its passable in 2wd thats great. one unexpected change and you can be completely ****ed hours from help. having 4wd isnt some huge compromise or expensive or even a luxury anymore... its pretty much standard. i'd rather have an awd subaru than a 2wd truck... even one with a locker. if my old subie wasnt so damn low it would have went anywhere.

I would not build/buy an expo rig that is two wheel drive but I do much of my expo type wheeling in two wheel drive. I want to have the option of four wheel drive in case trail surprises or weather strikes.

I take both my jeeps out alone all the time, I always keep in 2wd until I get stuck, if I have to run more than a short ways in 4wd I'll be looking to turn around. Even though I still have 4lo and lockers and winch (at least on the XJ) to help me out if I got even more stuck, if I'm alone and have to touch any of those I've gone way too far and will turn back immediately.

I've had times I've had to use 4wd on a graded dirt road in a sandy patch, or when I've pulled onto the bank to let somebody past. Once even got stuck with 2 wheels on pavement when I pulled onto the shoulder without noticing it was deep sand under the grass.

Point is, 2wd will do for 99.9% of exploring, but if you're going alone it leaves you no safety margin for the unexpected.

Last edited:
I always laugh at those who say they keep their jeep in 2wd till they get stuck or because they like a challenge or whatever.

Install a trans temp gauge and you will never do that again. At slow speeds your trans is working twice as hard, in first gear the tq converter won't even lock up and your trans temps will spike.

Under 20 mph on rough roads in 2wd my jeep trans temp runs at 180-210. In low range it instantly drops to 150 or below just because its not working as hard and the converter can lock up.

Of course with a five speed this doesn't matter as much but it's still way easier and better on your drivetrain.

Under 20 mph on rough roads in 2wd my jeep trans temp runs at 180-210. In low range it instantly drops to 150 or below just because its not working as hard and the converter can lock up.
shhhh don't say that in OEM tech, a bunch of people will flip out and say you are overcooling your transmission and its gonna die!!!!!@!!@!!!!!!1

Back