• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radio wanted really bad

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
let me know what you got and i will buy it from you or if you have extra ones please hook a member up :)

let me check in the shop, i may have one for you. no antenas though. ever make it down to north county san diego?
oh, and a quik tip. you can find them in thrift stores for like a dollar or two.

well i would like an older one because they pick up more stations and they have a greater range :) let me know and ill come down ther sometime

Kevin, take my advice on this.

Uniden 520XL with a Wilson 'lil will mag mount antenna. You'll spend around $100 for one new, but it's by far one of the best CB's I've seen for what we do. Without getting into the crazy amplified modded CB's, these work better than most. Andy (SilverSLK) and myself used to both run them, and when we'd be out on a trail, we would have to relay information back and forth for people, cause we were the only ones who could pick everybody up.

The newer Cobra's you buy at say walmart are JUNK. The older ones are good, but you have to have an OLD one. With that being said, there's no reason to have a CB the size of a suitcase in my opinion in our already small interiors.

Uniden 520XL with a Wilson 'lil will mag mount antenna. You'll spend around $100 for one new, but it's by far one of the best CB's I've seen for what we do. Without getting into the crazy amplified modded CB's, these work better than most. Andy (SilverSLK) and myself used to both run them, and when we'd be out on a trail, we would have to relay information back and forth for people, cause we were the only ones who could pick everybody up.

The newer Cobra's you buy at say walmart are JUNK. The older ones are good, but you have to have an OLD one. With that being said, there's no reason to have a CB the size of a suitcase in my opinion in our already small interiors.

x2

my modded cb works great : )

well i would like an older one because they pick up more stations and they have a greater range :) let me know and ill come down ther sometime

All CBs transmit and receive the 40 channels (NOT stations) currently allotted in the CB radio frequency range. All CBs are limited to 4 watts output. Functionally, there's no difference in a new radio or an old radio.

Go to Big Lots and buy whatever they have in stock for $30-35 and mate it with a good antenna like a Wilson 1000 or a Firestick.

All CBs transmit and receive the 40 channels (NOT stations) currently allotted in the CB radio frequency range. All CBs are limited to 4 watts output. Functionally, there's no difference in a new radio or an old radio.

Go to Big Lots and buy whatever they have in stock for $30-35 and mate it with a good antenna like a Wilson 1000 or a Firestick.

I didnt knwo Big lots had em... weird! guess they dont sell em in south central :p

The unidens are fricckin nice! get one! i have one too.

midland-1001z-lg.jpg

I'm running this little guy, and it has never steered me wrong. 40 bones at 4West Off-road. :)

My walmart one does just fine! :dunno:

jim sorry but you are wrong lol..... you can get a trucker cb and reach 30 miles and you can get a trucker cb up to 300 watts and reach across country lol, a friend of mine did it and was asked if he had a regular cb and he just replied yes, little do they know he had a 300 watt cb lol

jim sorry but you are wrong lol..... you can get a trucker cb and reach 30 miles and you can get a trucker cb up to 300 watts and reach across country lol, a friend of mine did it and was asked if he had a regular cb and he just replied yes, little do they know he had a 300 watt cb lol
ACTUALLY... You're wrong, CB's are limited to 4 watts, and you're not going to reach 30 miles with one unless you're under PERFECT conditions on a mountain peak like Scott said. Anything over 4 watts is against the law, not saying people don't do it, but you're not going to find one off the shelf.

Explain exactly what a "Trucker" CB is since you seem to be in the KNOW ;)

go to this link and tell me that doesnt say 200 watts lol ;) its expensive but you can buy them. and i dont think they ask for a license :D so how have you been jim?

You can check the current regulations at the FCC Web site. Go down the left side of the screen and select 'Rules and Regulations.' Select 'FCC Rules: CFR Title 47' which is short for 'Title 47-Telecommunications.' Select 'Part 95 - Personal Radio Services.' Follow the link and you will find that CB radio is covered in the regulations starting with paragraph 95.401. Paragraph 95.410 states that CB output power is limited to 4 watts (carrier power) when using Amplitude Modulation (AM) or 12 watts Peak Envelope Power (PEP) when using Single Sideband (SSB) modulation.

http://www.fcc.gov/

Again, not saying people don't do it, but it's illegal, just like removing the cats from your vehicle. And it's a sore subject here with some of the ham radio nerds who want to feel elite for having a license. If you want to talk on the trail, buy a regular 'ol CB radio, if you want to break the law, mod it. If you want to talk long distances buy a race radio / ham radio.

Back