• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DSLR Recommendations

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
NAXJA Member
My wife has recently informed me that she'd like to step up from her oint and shoot into something better. I've been looking at DSLR's for a few years, but haven't pulled the trigger because of the cost. I know a few of you guys spend a lot of time taking pictures and I want to know what you think.

It doesn't have to be bells and whistles, but it has to be interchangeable lenses and capable of portrait quality pictures. She wants to take pictures of the kids with it, I want to take badass pictures of jeep adventures with it. I'm totally open to good quality used models.

Any thoughts?

Here is my opinion based on what I have found through many years of being a camera enthusiast. Get yourself a decent DSLR body but put your money into the lenses. The difference in image quality from the cheap kit lenses and the better quality glass is worth the money in my opinion. As far as brands go, most all makers have excellent choices in body and lenses so it's hard to go wrong. First, figure out what type lens will be required to achieve your goals, research the brands, pull the trigger on one. There is no such thing as the perfect all around lens. You'll likely need a few to cover most scenarios.

The best advice I can give you is, no matter what brand you end up with, no matter how much money you spend, the key is to get out and use it. If you have a local camera club, join it and learn from others. Most of all, don't just take pics and keep them on the computer. Post them on forums, print the ones you are proud of and hang em on the wall. Get out and have fun.

Let us know what you wind up with!

I've read the same things on the net. There's a ton of choices for bodies and I think she'll be happy with most all of them. I think sticking with a brand that is consistent with their lenses is important. I don't want to end up with a body that can only use a certain generation of lenses. The brands that appeal to me are the ones that can use any of their lenses, regardless of age.

I've got my eye on a D5300, but the Pentax cameras are intriguing.

Stick with Nikon and Canon...nothing wrong with the other brands but the two biggies have the most aftermarket support.

Pick the camera that you think will give you the best results for your (or your wife's) current abilities and buy one two or three steps up from that. It doesn't take long to outgrow a body.

Don't hesitate to look at the new mirrorless micro 4/3rds cameras. It blows my mind how many professional photographers I follow are switching to these. They claim to get just as high a quality for a fraction of the price and weight.

I saw the reviews on the mirrorless. I know that I like a real viewfinder, but her Nikon now is LCD only, so it might not matter.

I'm looking at spending $1k with a kit lens and upgrading lenses for birthdays and anniversaries.

I was a professional photographer for over 20 years. I used to be a Minolta fan but I now shoot the Nikons. The D5300 is pretty good. My only complaint is that I use an ultra wide quite often and a Nikon lens will cost me more than the original setup with lens.

I shoot with the D5100. All kit lenses. I've been happy with it.

Using the LCD for taking pictures really slows the action down. Even at a high shutter speed it takes a good bit longer for the camera to process when using the LCD. I never use it.

The D3300 seems to be a good entry level DSLR, but there's some image advantages to the D5300 that make sense to spend the extra money if she ever gets into a class and wants to play with the settings.

Our point and shoots are Nikons, so it will be nice that the controls are similiar.

Back