• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to turn your mobile phone or iPad into an off-road GPS

I went with the backcountry navigator on my nexus tablet. Best $10 i've spent on anything phone or tablet related ever. As mentioned, download the areas you want to go, prior to leaving your wifi source. Saved our butts a few weeks ago in calico when a road was more difficult than expected so we had to deviate from the plan.

I have been using Trimble's Outdoors Navigator Pro. It has cache capability so if you download the area you want, you don't need cell service.

There's a program called ArcGIS that I've used in the past to create field maps for geology stuff. Recently downloaded it to my iPhone and you can store topo maps for offline use as well as other nifty things. Haven't had a chance to really look into it on the phone just yet.

Another +1 for GaiaGPS. I've used it extensively around Southern California, it works quite well.

x2

I'm using it with a bad elf gps receiver on my iPad mini and overlay satellite onto the topos and download the area I want before the trip so I don't need an internet signal.

Back