• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question, discussion, debate.

shhhh don't say that in OEM tech, a bunch of people will flip out and say you are overcooling your transmission and its gonna die!!!!!@!!@!!!!!!1

They can say whatever they want. My dad has been a transmission mechanic his whole life. The last 30 years of his working days he taught transmission repair at a UAW school.

If he was to read something like that he would have a good chuckle.

And I prefer staying in 2wd unless I'm stuck, because it keeps me from being stupid and pushing it in 4wd till I'm extra stuck and in a bad way. Now if I'm in a group instead of alone, that's a different story.

i run in 2wd most of the time in my 5 speed so im guessing what you DrMoab was referring to was an auto. Now as im still on the fence about 2 vs 4 for expo i will say that in my opinion auto is never the way to go in a expo or 4x4 rig. the reason is more parts to break, more fluids to carry and you cant stall an auto and start it in gear on an incline.

thats not to say people havent done it for years with zero problems but i would never personally wheel an auto.

Now as im still on the fence about 2 vs 4 for expo

I wish I had video from back in the day to convey how miserable most situations were with just 2wd.
Shoveling sand and jamming plywood sheets under the tires while only in the 'easy stuff'(sand highway) at the Imperial Sand Dunes.
Watching an old beater Dodge 4wd Class C motorhome pull itself out of a steep dry wash in Anza Borrego while I drove around looking for an easier exit.
Beating the crap out of the truck to get up the rocky dirt road to Hot Springs mountain in the rain, while tree huggers in Subaru wagons tip-toed by.
Going down into washes or canyons that required hiking in and out to recon an exit.....screw that.

Low range would have made a world of difference. A winch should have been standard equipment. I already had good tires and a Lock Right - thats 75% of the way to the 4wd vehicle I ended up with anyway.

Back