• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer rear disc break conversion

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I was told by a friend that the Ford explorer rear disc breaks ( i can't remember the year) would work on a 99 xj with chry. 8.25. Is this true? how easy of a conversion would this be? Is it a simple bolt on or do i have to redesign mount brackets etc.? Are there any other SUVs to look at that i can hijack rear disc breaks from? Thanks in advance.

I would like to know if this is possible also. I have an 8.8 from a '88 ford with disc brakes. I was wondering if the brakes off that would work? Im sure new brackets would have to made?

Reason for not using the 8.8 is its a 28 spline and wouldnt be worth the trouble right now to switch.

I was told by a friend that the Ford explorer rear disc breaks ( i can't remember the year) would work on a 99 xj with chry. 8.25. Is this true? how easy of a conversion would this be? Is it a simple bolt on or do i have to redesign mount brackets etc.? Are there any other SUVs to look at that i can hijack rear disc breaks from? Thanks in advance.
rear zj discs are pretty much bolt on.

well I held up my ford 8.8 disc brake assemblies up to my ZJ rear disc conversion and well... they look identical... it would be interesting.. I am going to compare the part numbers stamped on the castings one day.

I would like to know if this is true. The Pick-a-Part yards are full of Exlorers.
ZJ brakes are rare and expensive. Cheap is good.
I have searched for a long time and have never seen this conversion done.

I have heard of Crown Vic rear disc conversions but no write ups.
Keep us posted.

search for go jeeps website, hes got a crown vic writeup i think

twisted_ed said:
search for go jeeps website, hes got a crown vic writeup i think

[FONT=&quot]Go-Jeep's conversion is for a D35 (my 2001 has a 8.25). His brakes came off an Aussie Falcon. Who knows if there is an American equivalent?

I may just have to go ahead and buy an Explorer rear brake assembly and give it a try if the cost isn't too much. It is so much easier when someone else has done the trial and error thing.
My XJ is my DD. Without a backup vehicle; it is hard to put it on jack stands for a week while figuring out all the details and running for parts.[/FONT]

Teraflex and Currie have an Explorer rear brake conversion kit for the 8.25. So, that tells me it is possible, you can find the installations instructions on the teraflex website. I do not kbnow if it is a straight adapatable transfer of parts.
Hope that helps.

well the ZJ disk brake conversion works on both the D35 and C8.25, only thing I know of thats different is with the 8.25 you need to bore out the center hole a little and use longer wheel studs...

twisted_ed said:
well the ZJ disk brake conversion works on both the D35 and C8.25, only thing I know of thats different is with the 8.25 you need to bore out the center hole a little and use longer wheel studs...

Correct, the 8.25 you need to bore the center hole out a bit. I did the swap first on my D35 then to my 8.25. I felt that the axle flange studs were too short and put longer ones on the 8.25. Also, as with the D35 you will need longer wheel studs. Go to Advanced or the like and pick up a set for a ZJ w/ rear discs. Will work fine. Other then the center whole the swaps are identical.

-Chris

If anyone wants to play around with the 8.8 brakes, I have a pair of caliper brackets off a 2000 explorer.

steveareno said:
Teraflex and Currie have an Explorer rear brake conversion kit for the 8.25. So, that tells me it is possible, you can find the installations instructions on the teraflex website. I do not kbnow if it is a straight adapatable transfer of parts.
Hope that helps.
I have the TeraFlex kit and yes they use Explorer rotors. I am not sure about the other parts, but I think the backing plate is custom made by TeraFlex. (Give them a call to be sure.)

I have the TeraFlex kit as well. Back before I ordered it I asked TeraFlex what it consisted of. I was told that it had some Jeep Grand Cherokee parts and some Ford Explorer parts. Its been a long time since then, but I believe I remember seeing Jeep stamped into the backing plate dust shield. It's very possible that Jeep and Ford used the same OEM supplier and TeraFlex just picked and chose which parts were cheaper. Just a theory.

Back