• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex (Ford Explorer) Rear Disc Brake Conversion Backspacing

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
I just put on my Teraflex rear disc brake conversion on my Chrysler 8.25 axle. I was happy to be done, but when I tried to put on my wheels, they looked crooked. I take closer look and notice that the caliper is hitting my rim. Has anybody run into this problem? Is it just that my stock rims with the 5.25" backspacing is no good with these calipers. I called Teraflex and they they should fit, but I think I have everything installed correctly.

disc8.jpg

disc6.jpg

disc7.jpg

Your caliper seems to be sticking out further than it should Hard to tell from just picture but that is my two cents

Kurt

Sorry about the crappy pics. Here's another angle. You can see some rub marks on the caliper where the wheel is hitting.

disc11.jpg

It seems like it is hitting right where the rim necks down to a smaller diameter. I'm wondering if getting a rim with less backspacing will help since if that necked down part stays right where it is and the mounting flange moves back, the mounting flange will hit the axle before the caliper hits that necked down part.

disc12.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info XJeeper. I decided to try to sell my old wheels and tires and ordered new ones from Summit. I have no other car, so my only option is to get them shipped to my door already mounted and balanced. I went with 15X7 rims with 4.5" of backspacing. I guess non of the other disc brake conversion writeups ran into this problem because most people go get their lift and tires before doing this mod.

Do you know the backspacing on the stock aluminum wheels? I know my crappy steel ones are 5.25".

Edit: I guess non of the other disc brake conversion writeups ran into this problem because most people go get their lift and tires before doing this mod or don't start out with crappy steel wheels hehehe.

Oh, read they have 5.50" backspacing. I guess the design of the rim is a lot different, without that necked down part.

Last edited:
just grind down the caliper some. It looks like it may only be off by a bit. Angle grinder and a few min and you'll be ready to rock.

Wow, that's expensive. Shop around and you can get it for less or collect the parts yourself and do some slotting on the mounts.

www.teraflex.biz

This kit is also ideal for anyone wanting to add a quality brake package to their axles. This disc brake kit is intended for use as a bolt-on upgrade to replace factory Jeep drum brakes. A kit is also available for axles using the new "big Ford" housing ends, such as TeraFlex high performance axles like the Tera 60R, or CRD60R. The internal drum parking brake provides outstanding holding power when compared to other disc brake conversions. This kit will fit the following applications:
- all TJ and ZJs
- YJs with Dana 35 c-clip axles
- XJs with Dana 35 c-clip & 8.25 axles.
- XJs with Dana 44 & 35 non c-clip use part #DBK-JE. Note: The Ford kit requires a separate flex brake line kit (Part #DBHK ) to connect to the systems hard line. These lines are NOT included in the disc brake kit.
Jeep (late model) Part # DBK-J.
Ford (new style) Part # DBK-F.

I had the same problem as you did. At first it wasn't an issue because my summer tires/rims had 4.5" of BS. But come winter and I slap on my stock steelies which are the same as yours with the 5.25" of BS and sure enough it rubbed. I drove around the block briefly to let it score were it was rubbing and then I did as previously mentioned and ground just a smidge off of the caliper. That took care of it.

MGrobe said:
I had the same problem as you did. At first it wasn't an issue because my summer tires/rims had 4.5" of BS. But come winter and I slap on my stock steelies which are the same as yours with the 5.25" of BS and sure enough it rubbed. I drove around the block briefly to let it score were it was rubbing and then I did as previously mentioned and ground just a smidge off of the caliper. That took care of it.

Hey MGrobe

How come we're always meeting when I need to grind stuff...hehe...like when I did that pulley shaft on the mech fan. I'm surprised you could even drive with them. I thought mine were hitting a lot worse, like my wheels were cocked at maybe 5 degrees when I had them mounted.

I had the same problem with my cheap steel wheels. I just ground down the two parts of the caliper that were rubbing. It didnt seem to weaken anything. Ive got fourty thousand miles on them and tons of wheelin with no problems.

I had that problem with my stock aluminum wheels. A few minutes with an angle grinder and the problem was cured. My wheels went all (or at least visually) the way on, but definitely rubbed when I backed out of the driveway.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
I had that problem with my stock aluminum wheels. A few minutes with an angle grinder and the problem was cured. My wheels went all (or at least visually) the way on, but definitely rubbed when I backed out of the driveway.

Robert
Whats the size and backspacing of your aluminum wheels?

Thayer said:
Hey MGrobe

How come we're always meeting when I need to grind stuff...hehe...like when I did that pulley shaft on the mech fan. I'm surprised you could even drive with them. I thought mine were hitting a lot worse, like my wheels were cocked at maybe 5 degrees when I had them mounted.

I am in the third phase of my evolution. I went from Big Friggin' Hammer, to grinder and currently am at torch. One day I hope to progress to plasma cutter.

All kidding aside its been a couple of years since I did mine and I'd swear the rims didn't make so much contact that you couldn't seat them. Like I said I remember putting them on and having them drag on the calipers. Took a very small amount of metal off and that's all she wrote.

Back