• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is Moab important to you?

Crunch

NAXJA Forum User
This was posted recently on another forum here in Colorado. If you value your use of public lands in Moab, let your voice be heard.
Crunch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bureau of Land management is responsible for over 3.6 million acres of public land in Grand and San Juan counties in Utah. A Resource Management Plan (RMP)
Is the document that guides the Management and policies of the land it covers.
The next RMP will guide decision making in these areas for the next 15 years.
By Federal law, the BLM must consider public opinion in the preparation of the RMP. That is where we come in.
The Moab meeting was on OCT. 16th. About fifty people attended, but only 5 from the Red Rock 4 wheelers. MOST attendees were strong advocates of either severely restricting or totally eliminating all motorized use on BLM land. We are clearly outnumbered!
The good news is that public comments will be taken until Dec 30, 2003.
We must make our voices heard if we have any hope of having our wishes and concerns being considered in the final draft of RMP.
We need all 4-wheelers to write a few comments of how important continued motorized access is to us all in Moab. You can write or email the BLM office
www.moabrmp.com or www.monticellormp.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the heads up.......I've sent this off to the local wheelers and Utah 4wd Assoc.

EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE NEEDS TO CONTACT THE BLM WITH YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS!!

Thank you
:D

Does the BLM already have a "prefered option" and "alternate" plans? Does one plan or another actually close any areas? Do any of the plans open up any areas or is there a "no change" plan?

Well guys, I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO MOAB! We are saving to go next year so I'm not sure how to help but I would really like to. I agree with certain areas being left alone and from what I gather most of us do. It is that little piece of paradise that you guys and myself respect. My family is just getting into this sport and I would hate to see it go.

Hope you can make it to Moab sometime soon. Here's how you all can help......SPEAK UP!! December 30, 2003 is the deadline!!

How many hours a week do you spend here on the NAXJA site? How much web wheeling is done compared to actual seat time? Which is more important to you....to talk about doing something or actually doing it?

Am I coming off a bit harsh? Wah!

How about if the WAG's (Wilderness Activist Groups) come to your state or town and lobby to have all of your trails and public land declared wilderness and/or closed to motorized vehicles? Some of us have been through this already.........

We all enjoy or hope to someday partake of the Moab area and to some of us, it is home....or close enough.
You see, the WAG's like to portray us as a bunch of littering, throttle jockeys that drive where we want, when we want and ignore marked trails and signs. We have a stereotype to overcome, like it or not.

Now that you're all riled up and wanna scrap.........funnel your energy into the form of an email that will share your views on keeping the trails and public lands open for all to use.

Explain that you enjoy driving your ORV's on the trails with your family and friends and would like this opportunity to continue for years to come.

Let them know that you support education of how to properly use the trails, that you support trail adoption and cleanup programs that involve the local ORV users who want to keep the trails safe, open and clean.

Let them know that you also support the swift prosecution of those that choose to disobey the rules regarding proper trail use and who litter the environment.

Also let them know that you are a member of organizations (NAXJA, U4WDA, BlueRibbon, TreadLightly) that share these same views and are willing to help educate others and extend a helping hand help maintain trails, rebuild areas to prevent erosion and keep them clean.

Here's where you get more info.......
www.moabrmp.com or www.monticellormp.com

Look for PLANNING BULLITEN #3 and OHV Comments and send your input to both the Moab and Monitcello sites to cover all the bases........

Please view this as more that just my personal rant.....more a call to arms for all that care to fight for what we have....before it is taken away from us, due to our own complacency and ignorance.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I am posting a letter that I have sent to the Moab BLM regarding the RMP. This is for those that want to speak out but don't know where to begin. Maybe this will give you an idea:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To whom this may concern,
My name is Terry Smith. I am a four wheeling enthusiast am concerned about issues in which the subject of land closure/limitation are being considered.

In April of 2003 my wife and I attended the Easter Jeep Safari and were extremely impressed by the professionalism shown by the Red Rock Four Wheelers Association. The club exuded an air of concern for the surrounding area on which we were trail riding. This concern was in turn shown by all in our group. I must say that before our trip to Moab, we knew nothing about cryptobiotic soil and with the knowledge passed down from the club we were very aware and cautious, so as not to disturb the precious crust.
Now, I know that my wife and I weren't the only ones that learned something about land preservation as everyone in our group showed care so as not to disturb the surrounding off trail area.

Since our trip, my wife and I have vowed to make the yearly trek from our home in Oklahoma to Moab a family tradition. I feel as if I'm in an exclusive group that is in on a secret that most don't have the luck to be a part of. I only wish that I could have been in on the secret sooner in life. What you have is a natural wonder that no person would ever experince were it not for open access to the land.

While there may be those in society that treat natural resources as if they will be abundantly regenerated, they are the exception to the rule as well as a very small minority. As you know, most tails in Moab were originally created by the uranium miners and settlers.
Most "Jeepers" "Four Wheelers" and the like have such a respect for the area that "off roading" isn't even an option. I, as well as many other like minded folks, never stray off these trails and roads.

To limit or close the land that we enjoy would mainly hurt those of us who hold the area majestic and sacred. Education, as well as self-policing, is the real key to saving the public lands in Moab as well as other areas of the United States. To shut these areas down would actually prevent education as my children will never get to experience, love, and learn everything about the land that I have come to call tradition.

Thank you, and please keep our lands open.
Terry Smith

Posting this lengthy message from USA-ALL.....READ IT! ACT ON IT!
We need everyone's help on this, IT'S NOT JUST A UTAH THING!
Thank you for your support!
Jeff Turner
NAXJA Imtn Chapter Pres

Dear Friends,
I want you all to know that everyone at USA-ALL really appreciates those who are writing to the Moab BLM office. We really like it when you guys 'cc us your comments. It's great reading!

We've had folks contact us regarding two important issues and asked for clarification. Please see the information below.

Thank you all so much for the kind words and Holiday greetings.

Brian Hawthorne
Utah Shared Access Alliance

USA-ALL MOAB UPDATE -- IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION

IMPORTANT ISSUE NUMBER 1: Special Recreation Permit regulations should not be incorporated into the RMP.

Folks are very concerned about BLM's new Special Recreation Permit regulations and how they might be incorporated into the new Moab Land Use Plan. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) requires Special Recreation Permits (SRP’s) for commercial recreational operations, competitive events and activities, and for organized group activities and events.

Last year, BLM revised their regulations on how they issue Special Recreation Permits. Previously, BLM required SRP's only if the group size exceeded a 50 person limit, of if any money was charged for any reason.

The new regs still require permits under these circumstances, but they permit Field Office Managers to implement much stricter guidelines if they wish. An example of how a BLM office might implement is available on BLM's Salt Lake Field Office's website: http://www.ut.blm.gov/saltlake_fo/Recreation/Recreation/recreation.htm and also here: http://www.ut.blm.gov/saltlake_fo/Recreation/More Info/srp.htm

Moab BLM has not decided how to implement the new regulations. They are currently requiring permits only if there is a fee or if the 50 person limit is exceeded.

Naturally, USA-ALL is concerned about how the new regs might be implemented nationally. But the issue at hand is the BLM's intent to incorporate these new, untested regulations into their new Resource Management Plan (RMP).

BLM's information states:
"€ Incorporating into the plan Special Recreation Permit (SRP) policies and regulations that require consistent application within the planning area and coordination with neighboring BLM offices. Establish limits of use or limits of acceptable change that will protect resource values while satisfying the public's demand for these uses."

Why in the world is that a problem?

It's a potential nightmare. Incorporating a policy such as this into the Resource Management Plan removes any flexibility. If for some reason their plan isn't workable, in order to change the policy the BLM will have to amend the RMP. Also, if the BLM can't implement the new policy, for any reason whatsoever, anyone with a piece of paper, and envelope and a stamp can file a successful lawsuit.

>From behind the wheel of a club president's 4x4, navigating the permit process can be a REAL nightmare. Permits mean applications must be filled out correctly and submitted on time. Fees must be paid and stipulations met. BLM can require a club have insurance and possibly pay for environmental analysis.

If you fail to dot every I and cross all those it's you might find yourself in some real hot water.

Here's a nightmare scenario, and it's true! A motorcycle club recently applied for a race permit in the Moab Office. All but 10 miles of the race is on trails that have been permitted for races as recently as 2001. Every inch of the trail is on existing, legal trail, and much of it is on county roads.

Yet the Moab BLM notified the club that it would cost them over $19,000.00 for environmental analysis and monitoring. Given that all but 10 miles of the course has been previously studied, that amounts to about $1,900.00 per mile!

This is an issue the OHV groups are going to need to address on a National level. Rest assured USA-ALL will be contacting our National Partners regarding this important issue.

But the task at hand is just a bit different. We need to persuade the BLM not to include any specific SRP mandates in the new RMP. We need to let them know that OHV clubs are a resource for them in helping manage OHV use. We need to remind them that most of these clubs are social, community organizations and we often raise funds for local charities. The BLM should not be making it HARDER for these clubs to recreate on public lands!

Please scroll down to "WHAT YOU NEED TO DO" below or access our website for important comment information. Please make those comments today! Go to http://www.usa-all.com and click on "Action Alerts" for more information.

IMPORTANT ISSUE NUMBER 2: De-facto wilderness management.

Another issue the BLM has in their planning documents is the notion of designating something called: " € Identifying Backcountry Management Areas and establishing management objectives."

Lots of folks want to know if the BLM's Backcountry Management Area" is anything like the BlueRibbon's Backcountry Designation Initiative (see: http://www.sharetrails.org/index.cfm?page=38 )

The answer to that question is definitely not. BlueRibbon's proposal is for a Congressionally established Backcountry Area designation. It's a Congressional designation just like a Wilderness Area or National Park. BLM cannot ask or propose or even study another congressional designation. They must manage their lands as Congress intended, under the principles of Multiple Use and Sustained Yield.

This is precisely the problem. BLMers, since the Babbitt era, have been looking for ways to take lands out of Multiple Use management. They clearly want to manage lands as de-facto wilderness areas. Remember the proposal by the Arizona Strip BLM to designate vast "Primitive Areas"?

Could this be a similar scheme? Maybe, we don't know because BLM has included ZERO information regarding what a "Backcountry Management Area" is, or might be.

Recreaionists need to comment!
BLM needs to know that we don't like it when the BLM suggests something that the public doesn't fully understand. We need them to clarify what a Backcountry Management Area is. They need to know that you do not support de-facto Wilderness Study Areas whether they be BMA's or some other similar designation.

The BLM should not be attempting a Zone Management concept, which is not authorized by law or regulation. BLM must formulate management plans that reflect the Multiple Use/Sustained Yield policy of the United States regarding all public lands! Tell the BLM that they should abandon any designation that specifically manages for "wilderness character".

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

Letters need to be sent to the BLM regarding several key issues. Please take a minute and read the information below and send your comments via email or U.S. mail as soon as possible. We've made it as easy as possible for you to understand these important issues. However, if you have any questions give USA-ALL a call at: 801-465-1145

Send comments via email to: Brent Northrup at [email protected]. or via U.S. Mail to: Brent Northrup, 82 East Dogwood, Moab, Utah 84532

Tips and pointers:
Comments must include your name and address. Be certain to mention that you want to be added to their mailing list so you will be notified of future opportunities to comment. You can learn more about BLM's planning process on their website at: http://www.moabrmp.com . Preliminary issues can be found at http://www.moabrmp.com/documents.html (click "pre-plan")

Letters should include a brief description of how important OHV recreation is to your family.

SPECIAL HINT #1 Tell the BLM about your club and all of the great work you do. Tell them how your club instills a proper backcountry recreational ethic. Include a link to your clubs homepage so you can let them see for themselves how much we work at recreational ethic education. Ask them why in the world they would consider a policy that makes it HARDER for your club to have runs on Moab trails!

SPECIAL HINT #2: BLM is apparently attempting a Zone Management concept, which is not authorized by law or regulation. BLM must formulate management plans that reflect the Multiple Use/Sustained Yield policy of the United States regarding all public lands! Tell the BLM that they should abandon any designation that specifically manages for "wilderness character".

Comment Suggestions:
** The Moab area is extremely important to my family. I want the BLM to acknowledge the importance of OHV recreation.

** Please keep all existing roads and trails open.

** Please keep all washbottoms open for vehicle travel. Dry washes are very valued by OHV users.

**I would like the following routes to be considered for inclusion in the BLM OHV route inventory, as requested by Planning Bulletin #3:
"The Rusty Nail"
"Where Eagles Dare"
"Escalator" and "Gates of Hell" on Hell's Revenge
"The Pickle"
"Killer Kane Mines"
All of these are very highly valued by 4 wd folks. Please include these routes in the Easter Jeep Safari permit system.

**The special recreation permit process is too hard and too expensive for OHV clubs. Please allow for group rides of 50 people and under without any permits. Our club works hard to teach a proper OHV use ethic. Why in the world would BLM consider a policy that makes it harder to visit Moab with a club?

**Please remember that motorized vehicles are the only means of access to the backcountry for many Americans with physical disabilities. This portion of the public deserves to be able to experience the remote and scenic wonders that Moab offers as much as the able-bodied.

**Motorized recreation is an activity that is enjoyed by millions of American families. Moab is one of the premier destinations for a great number of these people. OHV users contribute millions of dollars each year to the local economy.

**Closing existing trails would have an adverse effect on the surrounding area. Fewer legal trails would cause overcrowding on the remaining open routes. This may lead to increased off-route travel, resource damage and user conflicts.

** OHV recreation is a family oriented social experience. OHV enthusiasts prefer to recreate in groups and often belong to clubs and organizations. OHV clubs should be seen as a resource to BLM. Clubs can help leverage OHV grant money for OHV management and law enforcement. BLMs new plan should not make it harder for clubs and organizations to visit and enjoy the Moab area.

** Ask the BLM to clarify what a Backcountry Management Area is. Tell the BLM that you do not support de-facto Wilderness Study Areas whether they be BMA's or some other similar designation.

** BLM should formulate a complete and accurate inventory of currently used travelways.

** BLM should realize that there is extensive opportunity for "primitive" recreational pursuits in adjacent National Parks. In Canyonlands National Park, for example, there is over 1/2 million acres of lands that are currently managed as Wilderness.

** There is no need to provide additional "primitive" opportunity. Conversely, there is a need to provide more designated motorized and mechanized trails.

** BLMs new plan should provide instructions to land managers to engage in cooperative management efforts with OHV groups.

** The new plan should recognize OHV clubs and organizations as a resource the BLM can use to leverage OHV grant money and to educate the public on proper backcountry recreational use.

** BLM's new plan must prudently provide increased OHV recreation opportunities to meet current and anticipated demand.

** BLM planning must develop alternatives that provide for the dramatic increasing demand for OHV recreation opportunities and anticipate even more demand in future years.

** OHV clubs and organizations should be considered a resource to the BLM. The RMP should not require a special recreation permit for groups under 50 people.

**I defiantly do not support de-facto Wilderness designations. Please manage all lands in the Moab area under Multiple Use principles.

**I oppose any Backcountry Management designation. The BLM must formulate management plans that reflect the Multiple Use/Sustained Yield policy of the United
States regarding all public lands!

**I support pro active OHV management. The new plan should allow for more cooperation between OHV groups and BLM.

**The new RMP should allow for "adopt a trails" and other agreements in order to manage OHV use. I do not support the manner in which BLM has relied on closures to deal with resource issues.

** I also strongly oppose any kind of "designation" that is designed to protect "wilderness qualities". Only Congress can designate Wilderness. BLM's authority to look for and manage for wilderness qualities has ended.

** I do not support any kind of zone management. BLM must formulate management plans that reflect the Multiple Use/Sustained Yield policy of the United States regarding all public lands!

** The BLM should abandon any designation that specifically manages for "wilderness character".

** BLM should formulate a complete and accurate inventory of currently used roads and trails. This information should be available to the public for review prior to release of any alternatives.

------ End of Forwarded Message

Just a plea, to keep as many off highway trails open as possible. I'm 43, served the public, just like the BLM does, all my life, and just this year, gotten into exploring our great state. I consider myself an enviromentalist, in that I and my friends keep the trails clean, packing out more than we pack in. However, I DO feel threatened when someone with more time/money than sense, insists that only hikers or anyone without a motor vehicle can enjoy public lands. I want to be able explore the road less traveled, but I depend on you, to keep them open. My friends in the Intermountain Chapter of Naxja (jeep cherokee), have since October, worked to gather items for the food bank (2,248 pounds and $100.00), and this month we're doing the homeless shelter support. We're not 'into' wasting Utah, we're here to help preserve a way of life accessible to all. Please keep the trails open. Let us know how we can work to KEEP them open. We don't have a lot of money, but we do have a passion for the land. Thanks again,
Jon W. Reese
Dept of Defense/Dept of the Army
Dugway Proving Ground

Sent this just now, but page came up as could not find server..so..not sure if it went thru or not. :soapbox: edit: ah, there we go, went thru...

Last edited:
Just curious, 4Wheeling means big money for merchants in Moab. Has the Moab Chamber of Commerce taken any position on the BLM’s RMP or lobbied them to keep present trails open?

Erik said:
Just curious, 4Wheeling means big money for merchants in Moab. Has the Moab Chamber of Commerce taken any position on the BLM’s RMP or lobbied them to keep present trails open?

Hard to say without polling them.......good point though. The majority I would say are 4x4/multiple use friendly, though.
I know that there a several stores on Main St. that are WAG owned or WAG friendly by the SUWA and Sierra Club literature that is displayed on their counters.......which I like to "collect in volume" whenever possible. Makes great fire starter. :shhh:

Thanks for posting this, Crunch. I just finished with my e-mail to the Moabrmp site. I am also posting a link to this thread with a local group of XJ'ers in my area.

I'm sure most of you know this already, but your e-mail should be done in a mature manner.(ie. don't call the anti's a-holes or something like that) That will make a better impression with the people that make the decisions. There's some good letters that are posted here. Excellent Poomba and others.

PS; get on your local politicians about this subject. Like what has been said, this isn't just about Moab. It's a battle that is taking place everywhere.

Steve

DECEMBER 30th is your last chance!! If you haven't emailed off your comments to the BLM yet, take the day off and get it written. Input to the BLM will only be accepted until Dec 30, 2003......did I mention that this is today!!

I made it really easy for you to do, see the previous post in this thread with info forwarded from Brian at USA-ALL........there are very specific items that need to be adressed so please read through this again and get on it! You can even cut and paste them into your document.....so even the lazy folks have no excuses to not respond. ;)
Thanks for your help and support......remember, strength in numbers!

XJEEPER said:
DECEMBER 30th is your last chance!! If you haven't emailed off your comments to the BLM yet, take the day off and get it written. Input to the BLM will only be accepted until Dec 30, 2003......did I mention that this is today!!

strength in numbers!

Yup I'm a procrastinator, but I got it sent in today (it was slow at work) felt good to comment, I highly recommend it.

xjblue said:
Yup I'm a procrastinator, but I got it sent in today (it was slow at work) felt good to comment, I highly recommend it.

'Bout damn time Jared!! :cool:

Better never than late.......Utah time is 10:50pm, so all you "out of staters" if you haven't sent your comments off yet......get to typin'!
Thanks all, gnight.
Jeff

Back